Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Landscape Design Help!

Posted by georgeoi Melbourne, Victoria (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 4, 12 at 1:40

Hey guys, we built a house two years ago, and never completed the backyard (or whatever yous want to call it). Now its a mess, with the weeds and everything else growing in there.
Anyone have any ideas of what we could do in it?
And my land stops where that wooden retaining wall at the back is, the house behind me will soon build a fence.

the pictures:
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Landscape Design Help!

Can you take pictures that show the overall of what the space is, perhaps from a higher elevation? And/or add a scale drawing that explains the arrangement? It's hard to follow with pieces shot from odd angles. looks interesting.

o
RE: Landscape Design Help!

Hey, Georgioi-
I lived in Melbourne from 1968 to 1975.
Wonderful place to grow up at that time.
My dad worked for an Australian company.

As for your back yard / back garden, a plan view is a good place to start. And, don't bother with computer landscaping programs -- sometimes that's the next question people ask, and the learning curve on those isn't worth the effort -- so use simpel graph paper and pencil. Figure out a scale that is big enough to let you play. Once you have a master copy of the basic scene, you may want to make copies so you can create a couple of drafts.

Then ask yourself, "What do we want to do out there?"
Make a list, and include the regular tasks that you might overlook.
So my back garden list includes:
Garden shed location and orientation,
water faucet / tap
existing concrete patio, sidewalk
compost area
interior / exterior door to lower patio
interior / exterior door from garage to back patio
gate from back to path leading to front garden

But what I also have to think about in some of my arranging is:
sightlines, access to get mower from back garden to front garden, place to create sitting area, and where to put a secret garden.

And, you know, you also have to figure out where the barby goes, right?

Note: I learned to speak Australian, but don't think I ever saw how it was spelled. Oh, the stories I could tell! My poor brother didn't know what a "biro" was until the "master" jerked the ballpoint pen out of his hand and threw it out the window. In the 1970s we were still expected to write with fountain pens.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here