Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
njbuilding143

Ideas for large front yard in "urban" area..

njbuilding143
9 years ago

So the area we are building is more "urban" and while we are still way early in the build process we have realized that we have little ideas on what to do with our front yard.. The property we acquired is larger then most of the other properties in the town so we decided to set it back further, mostly so we could have a larger driveway (26x35).. So the house will sit about 35 feet back from the sidewalk.. While the width of the driveway is 26 feet wide we are still left with about 40 feet (13ft to the right and 26 to the left).. We thought about just putting grass but this is not the area for your typical lawn and white picket fence lol... While we could do it and just "not care" what other think, the house will stick out like a sore thumb.. I posted a picture so you can get an idea of what the area looks like.. I know.. Kinda rough to work with.. I have no idea what to do with it as far as any kind of landscaping goes.... Let me know what your opinions are on what we can do..

Comments (12)

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

"I posted a picture so you can get an idea of what the area looks like.. I know.. Kinda rough to work with..."

You are not kidding! Squeezing two pictures in makes each 1/4 the size it should be. Then, the bad lighting in one ... and then no explanation of what we're seeing the in picture ... I don't know which property in the first picture is yours as none of the houses seem to match the second picture. Begin with a single picture taken square on of the property showing its whole width ... when the sun is behind the camera, please.

• njbuilding143
    Original Author
    9 years ago

LOL... Sorry about that.. did a quick google maps snip lol... Ok.. Here is a picture of the property head on..

• njbuilding143
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is to the left of the property starting with the first house directly next to our property...

• njbuilding143
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And then this is pciture is everything to the right of the property.. Just trying to give an idea of what the area houses look like to help decide what might fit in.. Sorry about the first pics..

• shrubbish
    9 years ago

Hi! Just so we all understand this correctly, you are building a house on the parking lot? If so do you have a rendering of placement of the new house and some drawing of the front facade?

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

The photos make much more sense presented like that. (Besides the fact that they can NOW be seen!) My next question is same as Shrubbish: what will the house look like? Or, are you in the process of designing it based on the lot constraints? And ... is this strictly a residential project, or will you have a business here, too?

This post was edited by Yardvaark on Sun, Aug 3, 14 at 13:54

• njbuilding143
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Shrubbish - yes.. The house is going on the parking lot..

Yardvaark - This house is strictly residential..

Here is a picture of what the front exterior will look like..

• njbuilding143
    Original Author
    9 years ago

As far as placement.. Here is a snip of the site plan.. You can see how they positioned the house..

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

Jason, suggestions for hardscape alterations and basic landscape arrangement are on illustration.

• njbuilding143
    Original Author
    9 years ago

yardvaark - that looks so nice and amazing.. My only concern is (and again we could just not care) that with the way the other homes on the block look, this will stick out like a sore thumb.. Again.. I think like two houses have 1 or 2 bushes in front of them.. the rest have nothing.. the above rendering looks amazing, however i just do know if it will "fit"..

i dont wanna be this guy:

This post was edited by Jason143NBPD on Mon, Aug 4, 14 at 15:08

• dekeoboe
    9 years ago

My only concern is (and again we could just not care) that with the way the other homes on the block look, this will stick out like a sore thumb.

I vote for just not caring that your landscaping does not look like the others on the block. Just because they have limited landscaping doesn't mean you have to follow suit. Your house isn't going to look like the others either. Embrace your difference.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

Seeing the picture, I am wondering what the hell the dome is about ... so the final sentence did the explaining and made me chuckle.

As far as "fitting in" goes, I'm a believer in it when what one is fitting in TO, is as desirable as possible. But if there is room for improvement, then there is no reason to shirk from improving and setting the example that will inspire others. Over years, a neighborhood can completely transform for the better on account of trend-setting gentrification. In this case, the street is already and oddball mix of structures. if you improve it, you will be seen as leaders and others will examine what you do and get ideas from it. Trust me, copying is rampant.