Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ugly area of yard, need help!

Posted by katrina_ellen 5-MI (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 22, 12 at 8:33

Hi all,
I am fairly new to the home I am in and working on the landscaping, if thats what you want to call it. There is a large blue spruce in my back yard, and behind that up to the back fence line is my weed breeding grounds. Its only about 20ft. wide and about 3ft. deep at most. There are some ugly trees on my neighbors side of the chain link fence line so the ground is uneven with tree roots in the center of this area. I am into low maintenance and have dug out a large circular area under the blue spruce that follows the shape of it and mulched it. I also mulched around the sides of the garage, but I don't think mulching this area would look right. I am wondering if I should improve the soil and plant grass, or plant some type of border of plants along the fence line. Any suggestions for this area to improve the looks and take it from eyesore to OK? Thanks for any help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ugly area of yard, need help!

• Posted by catkim San Diego 10/24 (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 22, 12 at 10:47

It can be very difficult to get anything to establish with the tree root competition you describe. Someone else may post some appropriate plant suggestions, but in any case, adding more organic material, such as compost, and mulching deeply will be beneficial, with or without new plantings.

o
RE: Ugly area of yard, need help!

Thanks catkim.
Since the area is full of roots from the blue spruce and my neighbors yard, perhaps a different landscaping material I can put on that would be diffentiated from mulch since the area is dry it wouldn't take a lot to clear it. Or a groundcover that would crowd out the weeds and add some green. Perhaps liriope or some other grass like groundcover thats less invasive-I don't know if that would want to take over the yard? Just a thought.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here