Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Digging up bulbs for winter storage

Posted by gpborger 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 2, 07 at 9:14

I have bulbs that need to be dug up before winter. What is the best time to dig them up and do they need to be in a very dry area (my basement is very damp)and what should I store them in, open airy container or closed container?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Digging up bulbs for winter storage

What kind of bulbs? Different bulbs will have different harvest times and different recommendations for storage. In general, most tender bulbs prefer a cool, dark, dry environment and storage in a barely moist medium to prevent dessication. Slightly dampened peat moss or sawdust is often recommended, but I prefer wrapping cleaned, damp bulbs in newspaper. Just make sure they are not touching each other.

o

The bulbs are Mexican Shell Flower (Trigridia Pavonia), Gladiola, and Acidanthera.

o

Try the Bulb Forum.

o

This should be helpful:
http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/horticulture/DG1117.html

I'd use peat or sawdust for these smaller, corm-like bulbs. If you want to separate by color, use paperbags and label. Paperbags are porous enough to allow for proper air circulation but make sure they are stored in in a dry location, as they can also absorb moisture, as can the peat or sawdust. Moisture with these types of bulbs can promote rot.

o

What made you post this question on the landscape design forum?

KarinL

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here