Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nancy0903

shrubs to plant along a fence

nancy0903
10 years ago

I want to plant something interesting along the inside of a split rail fence along the road. I want it to provide some (likely deciduous) screening and some interest from the kitchen window which looks out on it. The area is about 25 feet but 10 feet of that is already planted with korean spice viburnum which are about 9 feet tall and in front is a sweetshrub venus. i have a blue shadow fothergilla that is unhappy in it's current spot and i thought might be a nice corner anchor. i have three sprite holly that have gotten taller than they should have. these four may be a nice planting for the front but i need the 8- 10 foot layer in rthe back. any ideas. i thought of oakleaf hydrangeas (which may be too wide? i don't want the bed to be wider than 12 feet and would like a taller and shorter layer). the house is a farmhouse , deer are around and the road gets salted _ (but the viburnum and sweetshrub are doing great - have been for 7 years). Any ideas ? sun, deer resistant, some salt possible, 8-10 feet tall and taller than wide. thanks!! nancy

Comment (1)