Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johnspir

Ideas for fences/hedge

johnspir
9 years ago

I've attached a layout of my yard. Basically, I have newly planted emerald arbs on the back fence. The back fence has a chain link, with no provacy from the neighbors or the street beyond.

On the right side property line, there's a 6' tall wooden fence and really great looking mature arbs.

The left side property line ha nothing - so you can walk through two backyards and onto the main street. I wanted to do something about that, so was thinking of planting more arbs. But then had a couple thoughts:

- Would that be too much? If so, perhaps I could trim them when they became too tall.
- Would American Holly look better on that side?
- How far from the backyard fenceline should I put them? Stop at the line ending at the back of the house? Midway? Extend them past the front of the house?

I don't want to be totally boxed in, but I do want privacy.

Just looking for ideas, even if someone tells me that I am doing this all wrong :)

Comments (11)

• johnspir
    Original Author
    9 years ago

attach photo 1

• johnspir
    Original Author
    9 years ago

attach photo 2

• johnspir
    Original Author
    9 years ago

attach photo 3

• BungalowMonkeys
    9 years ago

Limelight Hydrangeas make a beautiful, low maint hedge. If you have kids would not do american holly. We just purchased a house that had a bunch of american holly trees and took all but two out. The kids could not walk around barefoot in the grass because of the super sharp leaves.

• johnspir
    Original Author
    9 years ago

this is cool...

how far down the prop line would you go with these?

• BungalowMonkeys
    9 years ago

Here is the link to the website I found these on. Her hedge is what inspired me to start one. Mine is only 7 plants and first year so not much to look at. But next year since they grow so fast, should have some wow to it. It's hard to say how far down without really being on the property. For me what would work, is a hedge from the back fence line to 3/4 of the way down the house. That way the front yard is free and open for other plantings and the back is private.

Here is a link that might be useful: Limelight hedge

• johnnycabot
    9 years ago

WOW! I must have a row of those Limelights. Thank you for sharing this. Must check if possible my zone.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

Could you stand at the center of the back of house (close to it) and take pictures that pan, from left to right, across the entire yard? (should be about 3 to 4 slightly overlapping pics.)

Check the link below if you need directions on how to do it.

(Submitted before I saw your other pics, but it would still be useful.)

Here is a link that might be useful: taking pictures

This post was edited by Yardvaark on Thu, Aug 28, 14 at 14:56

• johnspir
    Original Author
    9 years ago

got it stitched together... let me know what you think

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

For the purpose of your original question, you could develop a hedge in the back yard at each side lot line. Uniformity makes a stronger, more dramatic statement. (The limelights illustrate that point.) At the right lot line, however, you have neighbor's plantings to contend with and a variety of structures to screen. Therefore, you may need to combine different plants on that side. It would be best to limit the varieties and keep things in groups. Not one of this and one of that. Your pictures do not show this area in enough detail to advise, though. Where there is exposure to light something like Limelight will work well. You won't get much screening in the winter at side lot lines, but will it matter then? I would cut it off in line with back of house. What you do at side of house should be correlated with what is happening at front. We cannot see that. If you want to pursue that it would be best to start a separate thread.

• johnspir
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Really appreciate the advice.

Right now, there's no landscaping yet - just grass everywhere. Figured I'd take the time to figure out what I want and then deal with it once we formulate a plan.

I like the limelights. My first idea was evergreen arbs on the sides up to the middle of the house, then cut them in to the house. But then I figured I might get too boxed in, so the limelight idea came to pass....

And I agree - in the winter, do I care about privacy in the back where I'll never be? Not really.

Perhaps I do arbs up to the back of the house, then go with the limlights to transition the front yard.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner