Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
need recommendations for sun loving ground cover

Posted by jillb z6 OH (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 8, 10 at 10:45

Any suggestions for ground cover for full sun - perferable one that stays green without flowering and requires little water to thrive.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: need recommendations for sun loving ground cover

Anything will need watering to get established.

Do you want evergreen?

spreading junipers?
Ajuga?
creeping thyme?
a "meadow" of various short wild grasses and wildflowers?

o

I think your best bet is to use the wonderful search feature at the Missouri Botanical Garden website.

Put in your zone. Put in Full sun. Put in ground cover and see what it brings up. You'll be able to review good information about each plant type, narrow your preferences, and then work toward a list that you can take to a local nursery for further exploration.

Choosing a specific ground cover without any design context feels a little weird for me on this forum. I haven't a clue what or where or how this query fits within a landscape. Maybe it would make more sense to pave the area or use astro turf? Just kidding, but working in the dark leads to strange suggestions.

Here is a link that might be useful: Search Missouri Botanical Garden

o

I second the Mobot recommendation. Sometimes a search will return very few results. If that happens, just tweak the "Requirements" and "Characteristics" sections, as well as anything you checked in the far-right column, and search again.

After the Mobot search, you might want to ask here or elsewhere about particular plants.

For instance, some groundcovers are more aggressive than others, and they can be aggressive in different ways. So it may matter whether you're trying to fill in a 30' slope (you only have to trim the outer perimeter -- some people would use vinca for this) or the edges of your foundation beds (you'd need to trim along the lawn edging and make sure the groundcover doesn't strangle, creep behind, or climb up the shrubs -- vinca would quickly overwhelm your foundation shrubs and be making its way across the lawn in its mission to Take Over the World).

o

• Posted by tibs 5/6 OH (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 10, 10 at 19:19

Not to be a smarta$$, but the best ground cover for full sun is grass. Not if you are a lawn maniac that wants a pure pristine mono culture and bright green all summer. A mix of clover, several grasses, creeping charlie, etc and mow it high and not as often.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here