Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joe_fristoe

Expanded flower bed and planted - Oops?

Bama_Joe
9 years ago

Hi folks,

Last year I cut down 17 boxwood and another common variagated color soft leaf shrub. The bed was under 4 feet deep and I wanted more. The house faces north and I chose a Yuletide Cammelia for the anchor. I planted 6 Autumn Moonlight Encore Azaleas, with a Limeligt Hydrangea smack in the middle. Am I going to have to live with it (besides replanting something I just planted a week ago and caused heat exhaustion...was rushing when those Alabama storms came out of thin air)?

My concern is how this will look in the winter. I'm not expecting a cloaking device to turn on when the Hydrangea drops its leaves, but was hoping there was something I could do, without impeding the summer beauty of the Hydrangea. It is 5 feet out from the house and, at an angle, exactly 4 feet from the nearest Azaleas. I measured and remeasured when planting and also a few minutes ago.

BTW...no borders until I am sure nothing is behind moved. I did install drip irrigation though. Thanks and look forward to any input.

Joe

Comments (9)

• Bama_Joe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm in North Alabama zone 7b

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

I wouldn't worry about the hydrangea winter look. In time it will thicken up so the bare branches provide a nice contrast to evergreens.

That said, I think the azalea arrangement will end up looking fussy and contrived ... rather than flowing with the architecture. I'd move the center azalea back into the line formed by the other two in each cluster. And then get rid of (to a different location) the outside, end azaleas as they will exceed the house face and be detrimental to the overall appearance (when weighed against the alternative.)

This post was edited by Yardvaark on Mon, Aug 25, 14 at 15:14

• Bama_Joe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Keep 4 feet between each Azalea? Also, you think moving them to the East facing side would be good? Thats the other place I had shrubs prior, or a totally different locale?

That said, should I leave the areas from which I will move the end azaleas empty, or add something else? If so, I would really appreciate a suggestion.

I definitely see what you are talking about for the ends and the plants on the back row nearest the house. I was thinking they may not get enough sun for The Encores to bloom set back like that. Really glad you responded!

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

You could move each leftover azalea in between each remaining pair for quicker grow-together.

You could plant a solid bed of groundcover below the Camellia (if that's what's at the corner of house) and a bed of annuals for color near the steps.

I revised drawing (above) to show these things grown out.

• Bama_Joe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The corner is a Sasanqua Yuletide Camellia, as you thought. I think those Azaleas would look better with more space, as you hinted at. I wasn't really going after a hedge anyway. I just didn't want to ditch the two other Autumn Moonlight Azaleas. Not thinking they would look right with one on each side of the driveway, either (had thought about planting something there, but not sure Azaleas quite fit the bill. I'm new to this, as it's my first place where I can plant. Got a little ahead of myself I guess.

Edit - this a pic right after removing the bushes on the side. The Camellia is close to where that sprinkler is...5 ft diagonally from the corner.

This post was edited by Bama_Joe on Mon, Aug 25, 14 at 17:46

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

"I think those Azaleas would look better with more space, as you hinted at. I wasn't really going after a hedge..." I wasn't hinting at "more space" ... just accepting it ... knowing that azaleas would grow together over time. Suit yourself if you want them to be separate. In general, I think it's better to make a larger statement that correlates to the architectural features. Too many separate things look busy.

If you are asking what can be planted in the space shown in most recent picture, in order to improve the appearance of the house, the picture itself would preclude answering, as the architectural features of the house cannot be seen.

• Bama_Joe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ah, gotcha. I have a lot to learn. :) I know its all up to each person's taste to a certain extent, but if they will grow together eventually, wouldn't I be pushing it to plant 3 side by side? I'm trying to figure out what to do with those other two Azaleas now. I guess it's not a big deal and dont want to plant them just to plant them. I may be able to find a home for them if no suitable place is on my lot.

I'm not too concerned about the side of the house. The previous owners just had shrubs all the way from sidewalk and around the side to the privacy fence. I'm not a plain jane shrub sort of person, but thats the only thing they had planted. They did plant a Crape Myrtle out front on the corner, but thats about all the color the landscape had (red).

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

"...but if they will grow together eventually, wouldn't I be pushing it to plant 3 side by side?" What does "pushing it" mean and what damage does it cause? I suppose you might be surprised to discover that when shrubs are grown, some of them are started with 3 in each pot so the fill-in is quicker. It doesn't matter. Keep in mind that you're growing an architectural feature ... not a plant that must be perfect on all sides for re-sale.

• Bama_Joe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I meant they might look crammed together or like some trees with branches touching, be more prone to have problems (disease or something like it). I also wasn't sure how that would look. I will start digging for a pic somewhere on the "Internets".