Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pixie_lou

Would this chipped granite bother you?

pixie_lou
9 years ago

We are in process of having our front hard scape replaced. I'm having a granite walkway installed. All the granite was laid yesterday. But the polymer sand hasn't been done yet. I asked the installers about this chip in the granite. They told me I won't see it once the polymer sand is added and the landscaping is filled in on the side of the walkway.

This chip has been bothering me all night. Are the installers right - I won't notice it once the job is fully installed? Should, I call the owner and ask for this one piece to be replaced? Am I being neurotic and nit picky?

Here's the picture of the chip.

Comments (9)

• pixie_lou
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is an overall photo of the walkway. This is the 90 degree corner closest to the dirt pile. It is closest to my front stoop.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

It's the designer's call.

The chip would bother me. But so would making the installer replace it. Looks like they did a meticulous job on leveling and joints. I think I would settle for a professional grade epoxy repair which would be durable and virtually undetectable ... especially at a 5-foot distance. (Crushed stone chips are worked into the color-matched epoxy base. After curing, the surface excess is ground smooth to conform to the cut edges. Done very carefully, of course, so that adjacent stone is not accidentally nicked in the grinding ... dental work.)

While the walk is very nice looking now, it looks a little interior-ish ... as in prone to being easily damaged in the outdoor environment. You'll need to worry who does the edging and what with. If I did it with my metal blade edger, there'd be about 5 chips to fix after every visit! And they would be concentrated at the rounded interior corner!

• pixie_lou
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks yardvaark. You pretty much summed it up -
    The chip would bother me. But so would making the installer replace it.

The installers are meticulous. I'm guessing the chip was there when the stone came from the stone yard.

I didn't hire a landscape designer. So I guess you could say I am the designer.

I put a call into the owner and asked him to come look at it in the morning. There has been very little waste on the job - there is not another large stone left. A new stone would need to be purchased.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

You would be the designer then. As I said, the work looks impeccable (aside from the chip) and the walk is VERY pretty. Seriously, though, if it turns out to be too fragile, you might consider coming back and surrounding it (like piping) with a more rough and tumble material at the edge ... like and 8" border of rough hewn granite, a soldier course of brick or some such thing. I can't see your overall scheme, but it's not hard to imagine a contrast color, protective edge is possible. The suggestion is just an "IF ... in case."

• Olychick
    9 years ago

It's a beautiful walk! Are you planning any groundcover or other plants along the edge? I just had a similar walk (not granite, but flagstone) built and the things I've planted along the edge would easily hide that - if so, just be sure it's evergreen.

I guess I would let them do the sand and see how it looks, reserving a redo if you're not happy.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

pixie_lou:

Have them replace the piece. Your eye will always be drawn it it. Can it be repaired? Of course, but not as cost effectively as replacement, especially at this stage of your project.

• marcinde
    9 years ago

If they had polysanded the walk before you saw the chip you'd likely never see it in a million years. Now that you know it's there, well... only you know you.

• pixie_lou
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The chipped stone was replaced today. I'm very happy.

The inside of the curve will be perennial garden. The outside of the curve is grass/yard. There is a New England Fieldstone retaining wall along the side of the driveway on both sides of the walkway - to the house on the inside curve, and just afew feet to help with the grading on the outside curve. There will be a granite light post in the perennial bed. The front yard is being laser graded for a skating rink. An irrigation system is being installed. And if that isn't enough, we found termite damage when the existing front stoop was removed. Lots of work going on here.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

Congrats!