Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garden design of the 1920s and 1930s

Posted by lavender_lass WA zone 4 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 24, 10 at 11:10

I recently found a post on the Garden Restoration forum, describing garden design from the 1920s into the early 1930s. I didn't know there was a particular design from that time and I find it very interesting.

My question is...do any of you have books, articles, Internet sites, etc. that you would recommend to find out more about this era in garden design? If you have any pictures or examples of actual gardens that would be great, too. Thank you :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My garden

Here's a picture of my garden.

It started out as a kitchen garden/potager, but kept growing and became more of a fruit, herb, flower garden with shrubs. I love the arbor, for seating and I'm putting clematis in to grow up the posts.

This picture was taken, by my husband, right as the sun was going behind the hill. I just put in the birdbath and I'm trying to decide what to plant there, in a circular bed.

I've included a link to the pictures posted in the Garden Restoration forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardens of the 1920s

o
RE: Garden design of the 1920s and 1930s

Hello,
no links, but I'll write down some of my mother-in-law's memories - of how our garden looked when it was new (started around 1925, Tallinn, Estonia):
Land divided into squares, with a purpose for each - veggies, fruits, firewood, laundry. Straight paths, all covered with raked sand, and maintained meticulously; lined with flowering shrubs and perennial beds, with white wooden benches here and there along the paths. Most space was devoted to growing food crops, the rest to flowers, and not much lawn anywhere. Maples were planted along the fence, with a plan to keep them pruned, lollipop style (they're big trees now, of course.) Terraced rock gardens were becoming popular, our neighor had one. Lilac, mockorange, roses, spireas and snowberries were a few of the frequently used plants.
I wouldn't want to go back to that style now - too many squares, too orderly, too much maintenance - but I guess it has its charm, taking one back to a time when life was more predictable. Pic 4 of your linked thread is something that would look good with our house!

o
RE: Garden design of the 1920s and 1930s

Timbu- Thanks for the description. It does sound charming :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here