Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rock Border

Posted by cookie8 zone 5 ON (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 19, 10 at 11:30

When you edge your gardens and plan to put some in stones to edge it, do you edge and then put the rocks on the inside of the edge? Or, do you edge it and put the rock border on the grass? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rock Border

I trench edge so don't have that quandry. In either case, you have some kind of defined boundary between bed and grass. Given my druthers, I'd edge and put rocks on dirt - but you're going to have grass growth around, under, and between the rocks anyway.

I don't see that as a satisfactory edging solution if the rocks aren't large and mortared together. Then you'd only have to spend time weed whacking or hand clipping where the mower can't go.

o

edge,border,rock,grass,garden need to design.not sure,some time, yes.other time not

Here is a link that might be useful: garden pics design

o

Thanks. Yeah, it looks good in our yard with the rock border but the extra maintenance is a pain. I will probably pull the rocks up each year, touch up the border and put them back. The "grass" is in pretty bad shape by the garden and am currently working on it so anything that makes it look better will help (such as a cleaner looking border). Thanks for the link too.

o

I use old granite curbing as edging, the grass in my yard is mainly weeds (gardens are were i spend all my time) So i just make sure the garden looks good and dont care about the edge of the grass.

o

Or just use a bed trencher....that's how most landscapers get that crisp sharp grass edge against a mulched bed. You can rent one for probably about $50 a half day.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here