Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tdc4266

Weedy Lawn!!

tdc4266
10 years ago

Hello
this is my first post here so I will say hello.
I have a lawn which measures aprox.40mx30m.
When I say lawn it is more of a weed strewn disaster.
We have more lawn and general garden areas which are in resonable order.
Our idea is to make the said lawn into an architectural design using small bushes and dwarf conifers ect.
I would probably use stone to cover the bare areas (pathways).
My question is could I use some sort of sheeting to cover the whole area to kill off the weeds and grass.
I would then cut the shapes of our design out of the sheeting for the plants.
Any sugestions greatly appreciated.

Comments (4)

• agardenstateof_mind
    10 years ago

Welcome. Your plan for the small shrubs and dwarf conifers sounds nice, but I (and I'm sure others) have one big question: Where is your property?

It is very difficult for anyone to give you good advice without knowing what the environmental conditions are like.

Yes, you can cover the area to kill off the weeds and grass - look up "lasagne gardening". You would start with several layers of newspaper or cardboard to smother any grass and weeds, then layer compost ingredients (grass clippings, shredded leaves, etc.) on top, water it, and let it all break down. You won't have to cut out the areas for your plantings - the cardboard/paper will break down and, like the compost ingredients, enrich the soil. Of course, this process takes several weeks to months, depending on the amount and ratio of materials you lay down, temperatures and soil bioactivity. (High nitrogen "greens" like grass clippings, green plant trimmings and such heat up and break down quickly, but tend to get slimy and smelly; high carbon "browns" like dried leaves, straw, shredded paper slow the process, but help keep it aerated, staving off nasty odors and slime. A good ratio is 1:1 or, better yet, 1green:2brown.)

When you speak of using stone to create pathways, you don't state whether you mean gravel/crushed stone or large flat stones.

If you live in an arid region like southern California, Nevada, Arizona, gravel or crushed stone on landscape fabric or whatever will probably be fine for your walkways. But if you live in a region with more precipitation, you WILL get weeds in those stone pathways. Organic matter gets carried in by water, wind, on the soles of people's feet ... and so do seeds, which also travel courtesy of birds and other wildlife (deposited along with a dollop of "fertilizer"). They will sprout and you will have plants growing in that seemingly inhospitable environment. It will be up to you to decide whether to pull them or spray them with herbicide in order to keep your pathways looking tidy.

Large, flat stones would probably be a better option, since you could plant the spaces between with one of the dense low-growing creeping plants, which would help suppress any opportunistic weeds. Some, like creeping thyme, release their fragrance when brushed with one's foot.

Also, based on personal experience, some walkways are just not sandal-friendly. Pea gravel, crushed granite and anything of the sort always seems to end up inside any open shoes.

Please keep us posted. Of course we'll be looking forward to photos eventually.

• tdc4266
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hello
    thanks for the reply.
    Seems I need to be more specific.
    I am from the UK, my wife from Holland and we live in Northern Germany (its a long story)!! We live about 5 miles from the Danish border.
    The weather like at the moment is very good, warm sunshine upto 30c the winter can get as low as -15 to 20 .Rainfall is about average throughout the year. There has not been a drought here for many years
    I have seen sheeting used which i believe is bio-degradable after around 2 years. This is used by councils on the side of motorways and other places to stop vegetation growing.
    The "Lasagne" idea is interesting but not sure how practical.
    This whole idea is still very much in the planning stage and looking at different options for stone, gravel ect.
    Thanks again.

• rosiew
    10 years ago

Search Gardenweb for more about lasagna gardening. It's quite amazing. Soil improves, earthworms come. Kitchen scraps, chopped leaves, and lots more can be added. I think you'll love the concept if you try it. Cardboard can be gotten from many sources easily.

Best, Rosie, Sugar Hill, GA, USA

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Lasagne gardening is great! I have used both newspaper and cardboard. The newspaper, of course, breaks down more quickly, but the cardboard is great as well. I usually cover the area in late fall (mulch over the cardboard or paper) and leave it through winter. Come spring, ready to plant. Easy and makes for good soil, especially when I add compost/kitchen scraps, etc. under the paper/cardboard as Rosie suggests. With your ideas for planting, you could plant and then put down paper and mulch year round. Most of the fabrics will end up with weeds anyway and they will be more difficult to remove from the fabric than from the mulched paper.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?