Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Water getting filled up in backyard

Posted by pmysore1 none (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 21, 12 at 11:49

Hi All,
I am trying to evaluate whether below situation is really an issue.
Please let me know your suggestions.

1) In our backyard we recently built a flagstone patio on a concrete base.

2) Patio length is 25 ft from the back walls.
3) We had two water sprouts that got buried below the stone patio and draining water out well beyond the patio perimeters
4) Patio is built on pretty good gradient level (Our backyard has a good slope). Patio has a seating wall on the far end of the patio.
5) There is small water pipe (half inch) through the seating wall to drain out water from the patio surface
5) We are in the process of making flower beds just on the perimeter on the far end the patio just behind the seating wall.
6) As we were digging, after about 1 1/2 feet, I saw water oozing out and filling half feet up the hole. Day before digging we had heavy rains in the area and soil is very clay.
7) I emptied the water from the hole and went back to see it. Again I saw half feet of water. I emptied the water again.
8) I repeated this 5 or 6 times and probably have emptied about 10 gallons of water.
10) Right above the place where I dug, the patio water gets drained out via a half inch pipe.
11) I dug another hole 4 feet away from first hole and I did not see any water. Second hole is slight on a upper slope.
12) Also We don't have any water lines in our backyard

Should I be concerned with this water getting filled up in the whole?
Will it cause any future drainage issues?
Any possible damage to the patio?
Is it a good idea to put plants in that area?

Please let me know your suggestions.

Thanks
-Pradeep

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Water getting filled up in backyard

Post a picture(s) that shows what is happening.

o

If you don't add pictures that clarify your description, I don't think you'll get response.

o

Drainage problems are such a pain. From what you say, it sounds as though the water collection comes from the drainpipe leading from your patio, correct?

A couple of ideas come to mind: you might look into extending the drain pipes so the water drains to an area where it doesn't create problems. Or you might look into creating a French drain. You could Google these ideas online and see if they make sense for you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here