Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
dig up grass and replace w/ decomposed granite. Where to start?

Posted by kelkeluplandca California (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 28, 10 at 11:57

I would like to take grass areas out of my backyard and replace with decomposed granite. Any suggestions on where to start, what to do, and how to use decomposed granite? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: dig up grass and replace w/ decomposed granite. Where to star

Kelk,

Depends on how patient you are. Here is the sequence:

1. Remove grass to bottom of root-zone(4" to 6").
2. Slightly moisten and compact the subgrade.
3. Spray area with pre-emergence weed killer.
4. Irrigate as if the area were grass for two weeks.
5. Kill any grass that survives with Round-UP.
6. Re-compact the subgrade.
6a. If you want a better quality job, spread geo-textile fabric over the subgrade before placing DG.
7. Place the DG in 3" lift slightly moist(not wet).
8. Compact with a rental walk-behind compactor or Jumping jack.
9. Finish by raking smooth with a rental vibra-plate.
10. Have a cool lemonade or lemonade martini when done.
Aloha

o

Thank you so much for the step by step instructions...it's exactly what I was looking for. Well, I have a lot of work to do. I look forward to step 10! Thanks again. Kelkel.

o
A little insecure - pulled out front lawn - now all DG

For the most part it looks great... but it being February hard to tell how great. We are in Southern California - just curious if anyone else has done anything like this - I was known for my "English Garden" - and I kept the roses - moved them around, filled in with ground cover roses and lots of Flax, lavender and Meyer Ferns. All highly compacted DG - and all watering on drip emitters. About 2/3 of the way in we planted lots of Privet hedges to form a natural courtyard - plan to let them grow at least 8 feet high... giving a year-round green backdrop to the plants in front. The courtyard has lavender, flax, large rocks, agapanthus (already there), etc. Am I completely nuts? I'll send pics when available... It just seems a little stark right now... with nothing blooming... Thanks for any encouragement!

o

If it's bermuda, Step 10 will become "weed the granite, cuss the Bermuda"

If you have Bermuda, start with watering well to get the Bermuda growing, then apply Round-up, repeat until you are sure you have no surviving stolons or roots.

Then do the process described above.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here