Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seanpd90

Landscaping around a large Oak

seanpd90
10 years ago

Hello, I'm looking for some advice on how to landscape around a monstrous oak I have in my back yard. It is large enough that the branches overhang about half my yard and provide shade to about 3/4s of it. Don't get me wrong, I love the shade, it keeps my Florida home cool outback, however, I haven't figured out how to make it aesthetically pleasing yet.

I have a little patch of grass, and some weeds growing, as well as these vines that look like small elephant ears(these guys crawl up my fence, through my yard, up the oak, and even on my house, they won't die either, I've removed them numerous times). The oak provides trickled sunlight and only one spot under it gets about 4 hours of steady sun.

Anyway, I'd like to create a nice looking area under my oak that will allow my dogs still room to run around, yet won't look like bare dirt. I have heard azaleas do well under oaks but I wasn't sure if there was anything else? I'd like ground cover, but I doubt that is likely. Worst case, I may lay out a few borders and make a gravel design with a across the yard.

Anyone have any other suggestions? It would be greatly appreciated as this has been a headache since I moved in.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (3)