Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
done_again_2

Overgrown Bradford Pear tree

done_again_2
9 years ago

I bought a house last year that has a large, overgrown Bradford Pear tree approximately 10 feet from the house. The house is over 25 years old. It's growing into and over part of the house. Is there a way to trim the tree or does it need to be removed altogether? A neighbor topped several of theirs and they look "off" during the winter. The tree is on the southeast corner of the house/garage and is quite messy.

Any suggestions as to what should be done?

Comments (7)

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

Call a professional, licensed and insured arborist.

It might be possible to prune and thin the tree, but they have a short lifespan (15-25 years) so it might be better to have it removed ans plant a better species in a better space.

• duluthinbloomz4
    9 years ago

I'm quite amazed to see a B. pear reach that size without missing a few of its major limbs. They're weak trees and are prone to self destructing where they branch off from the main trunk in storms or even in gentle wafting breezes.

You might start thinking ahead to eliminating (yes, by a professional) the Bradford and finding a more suitable replacement.

• dbarron
    9 years ago

I third the recommendation on getting rid of it. If you don't...some day the wind will blow..and the rain and the tree will come down.

It's a mess...weak wood and very very prone to splitting. You don't want half the tree to fall on your house.

• arkansas girl
    9 years ago

Are you're sure it's not a Cleveland Pear rather than Bradford? It could be why it's so large and I believe they are hardier and live longer. Maybe calling in a professional arborist(?) that knows their trees and not just the neighborhood "tree murdered/hacker downer" to help you out! I'd hate to see a nice tree cut down because it's misidentified!

Just the other day a neighbor house was just sold and the new owners come in and cut down a lovely Dogwood(boohoo!) that was the anchor plant for the landscaping...I'm sure because the crew of Illegals(and new owners) had no idea what it was so just cut it down thinking it was a tree growing too close to the house.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

'cleveland select' is just a selection of a bradford pear.. as far as i know ... you can verify that ...

but saying it is a better version of a piece of carp tree ... isnt really saying much.. is it ...

i have a CS ... its form is nothing like yours .. see link

but it really doesnt matter what it is... its overhanging the house.. in in my world.. that means removal.. before it falls on the house ...

it is also an opportunity for something new.. properly sited so as to not fall on the house...

welcome to home ownership with trees ..

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: ;link

• duluthinbloomz4
    9 years ago

Your link won't open for me. But here's a page of Google images to show the "darker side" of the Bradford pears.

Here is a link that might be useful: I think that I shall never see

• done_again_2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I've noticed that the limbs are starting to hang down more and create an opening in the center of the tree. I'm not 100% sure of what type of tree it is. It has to be trimmed significantly but seems like removal is probably best. I hate to cut down a tree but this one may have to go. It's just too close to the house. We've got plenty of other trees around that keep us busy with leaf removal. Thanks for the advice.