Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sand seeps through retaining wall

Posted by aliona Alabama (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 6, 14 at 12:10

I have a wooden retaining wall, about 3 feet high, along a driveway. The sand from the soil behind it gradually seeps through and ends up on the driveway. Every half a year or so I have to remove a pile of sand from under the wall, while the soil behind the wall settles down. Is there a way to repair this? The wall itself is in good shape, I would not want to replace it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sand seeps through retaining wall

Behind the wall the installer should have laid a piece of filter fabric (Mirafi or equivalent), backfilled a drainage chimney with 3/4" clean gravel, and then wrapped the filter fabric over the top of the gravel (essentially creating a gravel burrito). If you have soil right up against the back of the wall, well... that's wrong. Your fix would be to dig out behind the wall for the entire length and do this.

o
RE: sand seeps through retaining wall

Thank you, marcinade. I forgot to tell that there is a layer of landscape fabric behind the wall, which is deteriorating by now (the fabric, not the wall). That's it; no gravel. To think of it, the wall is about 10 years old and the problem is getting worse over the years - probably due to break down of fabric.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here