Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurell_gw

Tearing out some junipers - need tree and shrub suggestions

laurell
11 years ago

Last August I tore out the first half of the junipers that were surrounding our front yard, replanted the lawn, and got started landscaping. The thread is here http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/design/msg081041072297.html?11

Phase 2 is set to begin next weekend and I could use some input. The removal of the junipers is pretty straight forward. I'm lucky enough to have phone lines running under the root systems of the plants to be removed so it'll be long hours with a shovel, pry bar, hand trowel, and loppers, just like last time (we had power lines running under last year's batch). The original plan was to put a grouping of 3 skinny conifers (we were thinking Alaska weeping cedar or weeping sequoia) in the far corner of the yard by the road and the neighbor's driveway and I still like that but I'm open to options. I want to avoid anything bulky or messy in that area as my neighbors that share this border with me tore out a tree that made a mess on their driveway and it seems like kind of a jerk move to put in something they'll hate.

I'd also like to put in an evergreen shrub towards the back of the yard near where their fence is, but it cannot get any wider than 10ish feet. I thought of looking into to a Ceanothus of some sort.

Interspersed with everything else I'm thinking of lavender, rosemary, succulents, thyme, and alliums. The color palette that I'm trying to stick with is blues, purples, and whites as far as anything that flowers.

I've included a couple photos of the site as it sits. I intend to remove part of the lawn closest to the junipers. Maybe put in a rain garden of some sort - though I'm not sure if rain-garden type plants can handle not getting watered regularly? We're trying to go with a mid-century feel but nothing too tropical. Also, please ignore the pumpkins/squash growing. They're just there because I didn't want to buy mulch for weed suppression before I finished the area.

{{gwi:44140}}

{{gwi:44141}}

Comments (2)