Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tenntarheel

Help for Semi-tropic front landscape

TennTarheel
9 years ago

Hey guys! This is my first post and am glad to be here! I'm seeking help and suggestions on the perennials for our front landscape. We just had a retaining wall put in and have 2 10 ft windmill palms being planted SOMEWHERE in there! Should we flank the steps with them? Also thought of using some skip laurels or limemound spiraea somewhere in there? Please suggest away bc I'm so bogged down with plant info that I can't even see straight!! I'm sure you know what I'm feeling bc you've been there.

Comments (11)

• catkim
    9 years ago

I've just seen some wonderful photos of a cold-zone garden with a decidedly tropical flavor. The garden is in the Netherlands, probably equivalent to zone 8, and the owner wraps some of the palms for winter protection. You'll be inspired, check it out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tropic look in cold climate

• TennTarheel
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks a bunch catkim! I'll check them out now!

• catkim
    9 years ago

Click on the photos to enlarge them.

• msmargaret
    9 years ago

The arrangement in the link below looks nice for two palms. The spirea sounds nice. Also maybe some evergreen plants such as low growing camellias would be good for winter color. Cannas, especially the ones with colored leaves, look tropical and are beautiful. Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:44144}}

• TennTarheel
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you! Msmargaret, that photo does look really nice as well. In looking at my home, what would you think of the two palms on each side of the steps? Or one in the corner by the garage, and the other in on the far left, in the curve of the raised bed? Uugh, I keep bouncing back and forth from different ideas of where they would look best with the shape of our house

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

I would be thinking of what is most important NOT to obstruct or block the view of with 10' trees ... and that would be the central area circa the entrance. It would be best to keep the palms toward the outsides. of the space ... near corner of garage and far left outside.

• catkim
    9 years ago

I would agree -- resist the temptation to plant too close to the house. Imagine how things will appear looking out from the house as well as from the street looking toward the house. Blocking windows with palm trunks isn't so desirable. Creating some planted islands toward the outer corners of your lawn to frame the house could be attractive.

When thinking tropical, find some large-leaved plants that will succeed in your climate. Even if used as a colorful annual, a red ornamental banana can make a stunning statement for you and will mix well with your palms. Fill in with clouds of flowers held aloft on thin stems and shorter thick tufts of ornamental grasses or other foliage plants.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

general idea

This post was edited by Yardvaark on Fri, Aug 29, 14 at 2:12

• catkim
    9 years ago

Planted islands out from the house concept:

• TennTarheel
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow! You guys are so helpful! Thank you! The skip laurels appealed to us as the foundation shrubs due to their leaves being a bit lighter green and just seemed prettier than say, a boxwood. I also love all the barberry, which is something I've considered putting in there. We were going to put some white hydrangea in front of the skips, then some red or purple perennial flower in front. Then we were going to have a bunch of annual color we will throw in, coleus, purple fountain grass, sweet potato vine, etc etc. I'm just trying to figure the "bones" of the landscape I guess. All the perennial stuff. The annuals are what I'm gonna have a blast doing!

• TennTarheel
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Any suggestions for back shrubs and any other shrubs to design the beds? Evergreen azalea, for the foundation, then maybe some rose glow barberry with kaleidascope abelea in front of that?