Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loribug26

What would you do with this??

Hi all,
I'm new to this part of GW. I frequented the building part of it while building our new home. Information absolutely invaluable!!

Now that we are moved in, and trying to get things done outside, I'm struggling with landscaping. I don't want much honestly, but I want it to look nice.

What my biggest question is, what would you do with the "transition" from concrete porch to yard? I don't want bushes!! I love ornamental grasses, but don't want anything to obscure our view when sitting on the porch.
We congregate on the porch often, and step off of it anywhere along the front. For now we've just decided to leave it. Concrete to grass.
I'm considering landscape stones as a transition but I don't want edging. Would this be a problem?
What would you do?? Here are a few pictures...

Thank you for your time!
Lori

Comments (9)

• Lori Wagerman_Walker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another picture. :)

• catkim
    9 years ago

Well-tended green grass will be lowest maintenance, walkable, and no obscuring the view. Why make it more complicated. Resist the urge to perimeter-plant. Maybe strategically place a couple of extra-large pots (much larger than the one on the walkway) with spilling plants.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

what's on the other side of the berm?

Would be good to say something about you needs, wants & parameters.

• Lori Wagerman_Walker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Berm? There is only house, dirt/weeds/grass, then soybean field. oh... wait. I think in the first picture it does look like it is a solid grass, or dam. That's soybeans on a small, rolling hill. I'm sorry!

Needs, wants, parameters....

ha :) I need it to be low maintenance, want it to look nice. :) I'm limiting myself to ornamental grasses, day lilies, hostas & bulbs that take care of them selves. A gardener I am not.

I think catkim probably hit the nail on the head. Love the large pot idea. probably will do a couple more 1/2 whiskey barrels.

Thank you, would love to hear more ideas!

would you put a lane of stone between the porch & grass?
    or maybe stepping stones?

Picture is from the front, obviously before we mowed. We had to take a lot of top soil off in front, so it's been a little struggle to get grass going...it's getting there.

Thanks again!

• dbarron
    9 years ago

Oh my god...planting orgasm....plant low growing perennials and smaller ornamental clump grasses like prairie dropseed and purple muhly (if that one is hardy there).

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

What about trees, shade ... limits of planting?

• catkim
    9 years ago

The dog front and center is a nice, warm, fuzzy ornamental touch. ;) It looks like there are stepping stones laid in the weeds in front of him? Not a bad effect, if you could really get the "grass" under control, keeping the stones to that one area fronting the door, as long as they are all level and close together for comfortable stepping. At the risk of becoming repetitive, well-maintained grass is probably the lowest maintenance option.

• littlebug5
    9 years ago

Pretty house. You have a lot of stuff on the porch and in the graveled area next to the house; therefore, if it were me, I'd do NO planting other than grass. Because it would look too busy and/or cluttered. (No offense meant. Your style is not my style. I like things a little bare-er and plain.) Maybe a tree or two, back away from the house.

And, you said yourself you are not a gardener.

• Lori Wagerman_Walker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry mia for a while...
    lol @ dbarron :)

yardvaark, we have lots of trees behind the house. Will probably plant, maybe two in the front yard in the spring. That will be it.

yes, cat kim, stepping stones. I'm wondering if I should do them the length of the porch, since we (& the dogs) all walk off it at any random area. We're still learning our traffic patterns.

Thank you, littlebug5. Absolutely no offense taken. We have a lot of crap!

So I think I'm going to continue the stepping stones just level & in the grass. Maybe an ornamental grass at the corners and be done. :)

eventually there will be a deck in the back I plan on some ornamentals and hostas, maybe a few day lilies.

Let the rest of it speak for itself.

Thank you so much for helping me!!