Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
No Grass- Xeriscape

Posted by pricklypearsatx z8/9 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 23, 10 at 13:42

Is it possible for a no grass front yard to look decent?

Several years ago, I removed the grass in my front yard due to water restrictions here in San Antonio, Texas.

The area next to the sidewalk (curb appeal area) often experiences temps in excess of 120 degrees.

Only a few Texas native plants such as cactus, yucca, sage and lantana, and cenizo (Texas ranger -leuchophyullum) have survived long term in this particular spot.

What happens is a sense of "business" in the yard and is not restful.

I would post a pic, but thought I would ask a more philosophical question.

The area next to the curb is awful and unlike grass, my eyes don't flow through this type of native vegetation -

Anyway, just wondering if it is possible for this type of xeriscape to look as decent as plain old grass?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: No Grass- Xeriscape

If you pay careful attention to foliage, yes.

I love the look of agaves, euphorbias, and yuccas together with airier materials. Santolina and Russian sage will survive almost anything. The key is to depend largely on foliage color and texture for interest and not too much on blooms, which can look messy quickly. But moonbeam coreopsis does well. Penstemons do, too. My blanket flower did awesome, but coneflower gave up the ghost pretty fast--my environment was MUCH harsher than yours, though, (lower rainfall and much more brutal sun) and I had a strict no-babying policy after the first year. Scabiosa and liatris also did pretty darned well.

Make sure you have plenty of large-leaved stuff so it doesn't look weedy. And don't, for heaven's sake, plant stuff like prickly pear too near a walkway!

Get drip irrigation. That's crucial. Even if there is no "grass," plan out beds within the space. Even a simple bare circle in the middle can make it look more planned. If it's your style, put something in the center. Are you a modern art person? Bird bath? Fountain? Armillary? Big ol' talavera pot? Even a large planter can create a great focus. And don't forget the role of small trees, including mesquite, and evergreens like juniper (I like the low-growing, compact sorts, not the take-over-the-yard sorts--I think I have one called blue star that would do fine in Austin.)

(I came from he high desert before moving here.)

Also, some more tropical-looking things do great in Austin. Try mixing it up with canna in the background. Elephant ear will have to be lifted even there, but with a water emitter, it'll do great. Oleander loves it in Austin and looks amazing year-round. Crepe myrtle does well, too. So does Rose of Sharon and other hibiscus. Yaupon (which is a holly) can actually be trimmed into a hedge that looks great or left more wild-looking. Heck, roses do well there, too.

YES, you will need to water, PARTICULARLY the first year when things are getting established.

Really, you can have whatever look you want in Austin. There, I'd probably go in a wild desert-meets-tropical direction--the combination of different foliage sizes and textures and colors would be awesome.

Here is a link that might be useful: Check out High Country Gardens for ideas

o

Pictures?

o

Lazygardens: I posted pics in the thread Xeriscape w/Pics Need Bones

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here