Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tahoejeff

Help with patio root intrusion

TahoeJeff
9 years ago

Hey gang,

I would like to put in a patio, and I need to level the site out. Because it sits atop a slight slope, I want to frame it with some retaining mechanism. Erosion isn't a huge concern because the dirt here is extremely rocky and has excellent drainage. I'd probably frame with pressure treated 2x6. Then fill with the usual gravel, sand, pavers.

There are two trees right up against one edge of where the patio will go, and the trunk/root system is in the way of where the 2x6 would lay. I am thinking I can probably just notch out the trunk/roots so that my 2x6 can sit level. I'm curious what the long-term effect of this will be.

Will the roots push the 2x6 out of the way substantially? Or will they simply congeal around it? The latter would be ideal, providing additional support. And for the sake of the fence, which it's slowly growing into, that would be nice too.

The tree in question is a black cottonwood (pictured). There is also a pine tree I'll need to notch, with a very minimal amount of encroachment.

Any advice appreciated!

Comments (3)