Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help me with ideas to screen neighboring yard?

Posted by natureboy8888 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 13, 11 at 13:53

Here's the situation:

My backyard borders to an industrial property and I would like to screen the view. To cover the view completely, I would need something about 12 feet high and about 25 feet wide.

I've got my city's maximum 6 foot tall fence. The problem is that this area is under a very large tree and I'm not aware of a living hedge that tolerates absolute full shade. I've got a small yard, so I don't want to divide up my backyard but would prefer a screen near the fence.

Any ideas? I'm open to any plants, structures, etc.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help me with ideas to screen neighboring yard?

Hemlocks can tolerate full shade and can be pruned to form a nice hedge. Consider cultivars. Monler may not get tall enough for the screen you want (tops out around ten feet) but has good screening foliage. Pendula gets a little larger.

o

Ever consider something closer to the house that is structural? a pergola or gazebo (overhead interest) would draw your attention away from the fence area and create a focal point. I find if you can create an area of interest that doesn't try to hide anything but is spectacular on its own, your eye is distracted by the horizontal plane and you never look "over the fence" :)

o

Though you gave a great description of the problem, is there any way you could post a picture from your house looking toward the area to disguise?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here