Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mjj047s

'Poolscaping' help

mjj047s
9 years ago

Was looking to put some liriope/monkey grass along the back part of my pool deck PIC1 (which we're planning on resurfacing/staining soon) - could you suggest a better plant? I think 25 of them (@ $2 a plant) is a good, cheap alternative.

Additionally, do you think I should do anything to the other side? PIC2 - thanks in advance!!!

Saving for a new fence...will add landscaping around the fence line when finished.

Tampa, FL - pic 1 - orientation of house/shed is pretty much N/S -
pic 2 is perpendicular to that

Comments (29)

• mjj047s
    Original Author
    9 years ago

pic 2

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

Not sure exactly where you mean. Might you be suggesting planting as an edging to the pool deck? I absolutely would not do that. It would shrink the usable deck space outside the enclosure to effectively nothing. Place planting at the fence side.

• mjj047s
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, your explanation is better. Was going to put some golden goddess bamboo along that back fence too. I guess ill just keep it grass along the edges

• mjj047s
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just installed new fence. Would Golden Goddess be a good privacy barrier/plant to have on the back fence? Ideally, i'd like to be able to walk on the grass behind there, but just enough to run the mower through that area

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

Several fences are shown. Which one is the "back" fence and can it be seen in the photo in such a way that we can grasp how it relates to the rest of the back yard?

• mjj047s
    Original Author
    9 years ago

back fence

• mjj047s
    Original Author
    9 years ago

continuation of back fence

• mjj047s
    Original Author
    9 years ago

view facing due south from shed

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

I presume you mean 'GG BAMBOO' ...? While this might seem a good solution for a time, eventually it would get large. Bamboo arches outward and it drops a LOT of material. I think you would regret it as you regularly fish leaves out of the pool. Many assume clumping bamboo is tame compared to running varieties, but the clumps can become very large and densely wooded over time and there's really not that much room. I think you'd be better off with something more easily controlled. What part of zone 9 are you in ... where?

You didn't ask about it, but I think fencing the pool could be arranged in a much more sensible way.

• mjj047s
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the reply. I was on the fence about bamboo (no pun intended).
    Im open for any and all suggestions. Im in Tampa.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

These are some ideas to help you think about possibilities. It's a difficult space because of the narrow width, i.e., any tall shrub you plant is also going to spread out sideways. An exception would be Italian cypress, but that's going to get very tall and be expensive since you'd need to plant them every 2'. Arizona cypress would get somewhat fatter. Another tactic would be to plant something that grows vertical with minimal spread, but these (like bamboo) run and spread via underground roots. You'd need a root barrier to encircle the entire planting space. A plant like that might be Rhapis palm which grows 10'-12' and is very dense. Or, it could be something like Alocasia portora which gets 10'-12' ht., for a very dramatic, tropical look... also very dense. A cluster of pindo palms could go at each end of the fence line. If you wanted to stick with normal tall shrubs, anything suitable for hedge material would work. You could remove lower foliage to create a tree effect. But figure on trimming the top to control the width. Non-dwarf firebush would be one possibility, The common hedge Viburnums, such as Odoratissimum would be another. A nice looking possibility is Jatropha. There's a lot of it grown around here, but technically, it belongs to zone 10 so it might get killed back every few years. Podocarpus, too. I think it would be better to grow these latter things as multi-trunk tree forms with the bottom of the canopy beginning at the top of the fence.

{{gwi:44738}}

• mjj047s
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow - so much info. Thanks.
    I really like the Alocasia portoras - are you saying i'd need a root barrier for them as well?

• mjj047s
    Original Author
    9 years ago

just did my research - the Alocasia portoras look singular (won't spread) - maybe i'll do 4 back there every 5 feet with some groundcover or something underneath - i like the variegated rhoeo and fireworks fountain grass.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

The variegated rhoeo will make a great groundcover & the fountain grass will be a pretty clump, but no screening above the fence. The fountain grass will be too big and demanding of light to make a groundcover. I would not trust that A. portora won't spread. Its parent, A odora may be easier to find and will work. Another possibility is Schefflera arboricola. I noticed several of the all-green versions kept as tall, narrow clumps. The stems are rubbery so cut easily.

• mjj047s
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just bought 5 portoras! Thanks for the help. You really know your stuff.
    They are small (18 inches) - so should I plant them outside now or wait unitl the spring?

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

outside.

• deviant-deziner
    9 years ago

From a landscape designers perspective I would recommend injecting some horticultural spice and visual interest that speaks to the subtropical climate and pool scene.
    If well done, it will add both financial value and visual value to your property.
    I'd start with layering in some palms that will create depth of field and will also provide privacy.

To get an idea of some great design compositions google the work of Raymond Jungles who works locally in Florida as well as around the world.

Recently I saw this photo of a layered palm garden designed and installed by the California based firm Planet Horticulture, the garden is located in Florida.
    It is a great example of a layered design approach that offers incredible visual and financial value to a piece of property.

• mjj047s
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes! I want my backyard to look like that. Just bought then fence. I'll have to save up for more plants.

• pixie_lou
    9 years ago

Kind of off topic - but why is the pool enclosed in the black fence?

• oldfixer
    9 years ago

Similar observation, you can't sit 'by the pool' with that fence. Looks fine with the grass.

• mjj047s
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have a small child. Black pool gate keeps her out of the pool.

• pixie_lou
    9 years ago

I thought that was what parents were for.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

As a landscape element many of us thought the black fence was confusingly sited. After you explained its purpose, its presence doesn't matter at all since it's, more or less, not part of a long term strategy. Everyone who has ever had small children knows they can't be watched every second, which is what would be required if you didn't have the fence. Pool danger is a fact of life here.

• mjj047s
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Agreed. Its an eyesore and compartmentalize my back yard for sure. When she's old enough to unlock it herself, it will be time to take it down. She's a great swimmer now, but better safe than sorry.

• mjj047s
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Agreed. Its an eyesore and compartmentalize my back yard for sure. When she's old enough to unlock it herself, it will be time to take it down. She's a great swimmer now, but better safe than sorry.

• mj james
    7 years ago

here's an update. Same perspective as the "continuation of back fence" pic above

• mj james
    7 years ago

Portados. Pretty but not really providing screening. Was thinking about a few wax myrtles if room allows...

Same view as pic above "view facing due south from shed"

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    7 years ago

The Alocasia will get much taller. As probably will the banana. Wax myrtle get pretty big.