Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
burningmustard_gw

Backyard Help

burningmustard
9 years ago

I have a fairly large backyard in Kansas City that needs some help. I am just planning on doing a little at time, and was thinking about adding a little peninsula on the East side about half way down the yard. It gets some sun now, but I am planning on trimming the Walnut tree in the middle of the yard which should allow for quite a bit of sun.

I bought about 10 Home Run roses on clearance and was hoping I could use those as an informally hedge for the peninsula. Will this look any good at all? Also, I need to move a mock orange that is in deep shade, and I was thinking of trying to incorporate it somehow. Maybe in the middle of the roses? Is this crazy talk?

Thanks for any input or suggestions.

NORTH
{{gwi:44747}}

EAST
{{gwi:44748}}

SOUTH
{{gwi:44749}}

Comments (4)

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

Your yard is gorgeous.

One thing about planting near mature trees--there is likely quite a root system in place. If you plant something like roses in such a situation they are probably going to struggle and not do very well, because they cannot possibly compete with the root system of a mature tree. If you were to dig out some of the tree roots (not good for the tree!!) the tree roots are just going to grow back.

It sounds like you want some color? What is it you really want or need from your back yard?

• wannabegardnr
    9 years ago

You are lucky to have so much space to work with. I envision an open lawn area near the house, then garden paths leading to other garden rooms. Shade is nice. Once it is gone, it is not easy to get back, so think carefully before you make that decision. Look at pictures to get an idea of what you like, then get started with one small project. As you start doing one area you get better idea of what you like and what would look nice next to it. I see different areas. Sunny areas for roses, flowers, shady paths, vegetable garden, hidden sitting area, woodland area. Your imagination is the limit, if you allow yourself time over several years to make this your paradise.

• burningmustard
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks so much for the complements and quick replies.

I agree, open yard close to the house with possibly more garden areas in the back. The current vegetable garden is behind the shed (NW corner), and the railroad tie structure is a compost pile.

I guess the real problem is I donâÂÂt really know exactly what I want. I like to fiddle around in the yard when I can, but with two young kids, and the general maintenance of almost an acre yard, time goes fast. So maybe somewhat low maintenance landscaping would be best right now.

That hackberry tree (I think) where I have outlined the peninsula is on its last limb, so maybe I should just take it out. I guess I was trying to create some separation between the front and back part of the lawn. Create an intriguing shape to help draw the eye back. I really donâÂÂt know.

Thanks so much for reading.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

Establish the larger objectives and goals: privacy, view, features desired, etc. Analyze what the yard is presently offering in order to reconcile it with the goals. It is telling you to hide certain things within the view. It might be telling you that there is need for unification of some of the existing elements. Seems like there is a "thing" here ... there ... over farther ... and these things don't seem to relate with each other in a unified fashion. A professional would be working these ideas out on a plan and you should, too. The overall goal is to develop your yard into a large, single piece of 3-dimensional art. You can get help here, but you'll need to explore relationships in the plan view. I'm scratching out some vague suggestions about a possible direction you can take, in case it helps you get started.