Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pfa95

Struggling with Retaining Wall decisions

pfa95
11 years ago

We have about a 100 foot railroad tie wall that goes from ground level to a height of 3 feet in its center. The thing is rotting, so we're looking to replace. I'm down to two contractors I like - both have offered a quote for treated pine and for concrete stones. The two quotes for the pine are around $8000 each. I've been heavily leaning toward the stone though, because I'd prefer to avoid the rot, bugs, etc.

Where I'm struggling though is the two quotes seem similar in supplies. However, one is about $10K, the other is about $13K. They both said they use Anchor diamond blocks.

I tried to get a few more estimates, but one guy was way off, and others are not interested because of disposing of the ties.

They both have good references, no BBB complaints, have been around forever. I just have no way at this point to determine which difference between the wood/stone seems more realistic.

Anybody have experience that could offer any insight? This is the first major project where I actually feel a little lost on which way to go. I don't want to overspend now, but I sure don't want to redo this in a few years either...

Comments (4)