Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
May I run this by you...is there a better option out there

Posted by cadillactaste zone 5 Ohio (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 10, 14 at 14:09

We're removing the forsythia this fall...I have a water fountain I wanted to incorporate in or around the gazebo area. But, contemplating maybe plant some high grasses and put a water fountain in the area the shrub is.

Not sure if it's the best way to go for that specific location. Being wintertime the fountain would not be running and the grass not a feature during that time.

Contemplated also a lavender twist...or a weeping larch for the area the shrub is located.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: May I run this by you...is there a better option out there

This would be the fountain I wish to add...thinking high grasses behind it. But, worry about winter interest. Being the front of our home. This area gets full afternoon sun.

o

I always disliked ornamental grasses. They planted all the beds at mall with them. They are pretty when they bloom the first year and then they got ratty looking. Very unattractive.

o

I hardly ever say anything on this forum, but I just want to say that I have several ornamental grasses and absolutely love them! Mine have never looked ratty looking and are mostly carefree. All we ever do is cut them back the 1st of April. The grasses come in a lot of different sizes, colors and textures. I'm sure you would find something that will work for your site.

o

Zackey...I imagine that it being a mall...maintenance for their outer areas are lacking.

Sjt...Thanks for taking the time to respond...and the tip as to when best to cut back...my husband has always admired ornamental grasses...I only worry about winter interest. But that is short lived when everyone hibernates around here at the lake.

This post was edited by cadillactaste on Sun, Aug 10, 14 at 19:20

o

sjt gave the approximate cutting back date for her area. It's certainly not universal. Try to do it just as the first new growth emerges at the latest.

o

Good point Rosie! I hadn't thought of that...thanks for bringing to my attention.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here