Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Design ideas for walkout basement

Posted by monarchmom65 Ohio (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 10, 12 at 14:28

I need help with my walkout basement landscaping. I cannot describe exactly what I don't like about it. I do know that it is not very inviting. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Design ideas for walkout basement

If the grade slopes at a building face, it offers a look of instability. If you could use plantings to compensate for that slope you can create a stable "look." One way is by using a clipped hedge that covers the foundation walls. You could also create the same general effect in loose, casual plantings if you select plants with proper heights and shapes that would interface similarly as does the hedge. Or you could do it with vines on wires or sprawling plants, like roses, on a trellis(es). Part of the reason of why you would choose one solution over the other depends on the level of maintenance you're interested in committing to.

The space lacks purpose. Part of the reason it doesn't look good is because there seems to be no "destination" other than the door itself. There's no real patio or a place to do something. Adding some type of outdoor "floor" would, at least, make it look like the space has purpose. Even using lawn as the floor would be better than trying to make do with the undersized slab. Certainly, don't plant shrubs that separate the slab from the lawn... unless to DON'T want the entrance to look inviting.

A full or partial arbor covering the "patio" area would help define the space. It could provide shade and an opportunity to grow flowering vines.

Presently, only tired looking mulch is what connects and unifies the plantings. Why not change that to a nice looking groundcover that grows less than 12" tall? It would be like looking at nice upholstery on a pieces of furniture vs. looking at the stuffing underneath.

Improving the condition of the grass would much improve the whole picture.

When the river birch (if that's what it is) gets some size on it, the picture will also improve.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here