Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Yard or ton:which covers more?

Posted by stevecapecod 6a-6b (cape cod) (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 6, 12 at 14:48

What will cover more driveway space:a yard of seashells or a ton of seashells? They're available locally in different units. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Yard or ton:which covers more?

Ask the supplier as it varies by material. A yard of crushed stone is 1.5-1.8 tons. A yard of feathers is a lot less. I imagine shells are somewhere in between.

o

Do ask the supplier.

My question is why don't they just sell it all by the yard? Everything I've needed that has been sold by the ton, I've had to convert the cubic yard to the correct number of tons. Isn't it all about the amount of area you are covering and not how much it weighs. I realize the trucks can only hold so much but surely they can figure out if their trucks will hold the yardage requested...just grumbling since this is a pet peeve of mine.

o

aloha - I grew up working for my brother in an area in which everything was sold by the yard. At 20 I had no idea what a yard weighed or how to convert it. Rather than math it out, my brother's answer was "have the operator at the quarry load you till the leaf springs go flat. If the tires are bulging too much, shovel some off. And never take the state highway with the weigh station." I would have LOVED a place that sold by the ton.

o

Yeah the bulging tires would likely be a good indicator of too much!

Why not just have a conversion chart for the supplier instead of making every customer do the conversion.

steve I think the answer to your question is typically from my experience when suppliers are selling things by the ton, it doesn't cover nearly as much as a yard does. You need to check though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here