Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help designing a flower bed

Posted by rosies 6 OH (alabama49@hotmail.com) on
Sun, Aug 22, 10 at 14:48

I have a bed I've taken everything out of because it looked so bad and I need help to redesign it. It measures 40 inches by 11 feet. The back 10 to 12 inches gets very little natural water from rain so that won't get planted. I plan to use landscaping cloth and rubber mulch to help with moisture and weeds.
I'd like something very pleasing year round to the eye because we and everyone else that comes to the door sees this.
I'm good at growing plants but not good with designing the beds. If I could I'd hire a professonal but I can't so hoping someone here can help.
Thanks in advance.
Rosie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help designing a flower bed

It's difficult to make suggestions for your bed without knowing more about the location and what you might like or dislike.

It sounds like the bed is against the house, adjacent to the main door. (What's planted on the other side of the door?) If you can't post a photo, it would help to know what the bed is bordered by on the right and left (porch stairs, big corner evergreen, garage), and if there are any height preferences or restrictions (low windows, for instance). Is there an ugly foundation that should be covered?

What direction does the bed face, and how much sun does it get?

If you want something that looks good all year, you're talking about at least a few evergreens. But 40" less a foot isn't much depth, particularly if shrubs are involved. (How do you feel about pruning?) Is it possible to make the bed deeper, or is there a walkway or bed wall on the front side?

Is color a consideration? What colors do you like? What colors do you dislike (or would clash with the house)?

o
RE: Need help designing a flower bed

Sorry I didn't give more detail. The house is a white ranch, the foundation doesn't need hiding, the bed ends at the heat pump and there's a porch beyond the heat pump. There's a sidewalk in front of the bed. It faces west and gets sun from noon on. On the other side of the sidewalk is a bed of sempervivums.

DH doesn't want bushes or shrubs near the foundation because he's seen the roots cause problems with foundations in the past.

I love any color flower but I'm parcial to low to medium growing plants because taller ones often fall over. I don't like invasive plants.

When you come up the driveway you're in front of the garage and on the left is the house. On the end (north side) of the house I have hostas and astilbes. You go to the right around the corner and you see this bed on the left going to the back door which most people use.

If I haven't given enough information please ask more questions.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here