Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for plants/shrub ideas

Posted by Jankos MI 5B (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 29, 12 at 14:49

Im creating a large bed out in my backyard. I planted 3 Norway Spruce and 1 Red Maple to start.Im in Michigan, zone 5B, the area receives around 8 hrs of sunlight/day. Looking for suggestions on some flowering hardy shrubs and also groundcover to fill in the empy areas as soon as I remove the grass. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for plants/shrub ideas

You should post a picture that conveys the setting. It'd be hard to recommend a plant while having zero information about the layout.

o

At the risk of sounding snarky (sorry!), recommendations for plant selections to fill a non-specific situation are really not landscape design issues :-) For any given situation there are typically a dozen different plants that would work, sometimes more. Often a visit to a local garden center/retail nursery will offer a lot of possibilities and those most suited to your area as well. I'd also try asking for suggestions in your local regional forum or on the Shrubs forum.

o

It could be that the area is not as "non-specific" as it has been portrayed. We should see if the OP adds some context. Still, it may fall under the heading of 'garden design,' a category of the forum.

o

Sorry to disagree, but plant selection is a very minor aspect of garden design, probably the least critical design element of any landscape. And one that is addressed, often in great detail, by any number of other forums.

o

gardengal48, not sure who you're disagreeing with. As the only participant other than the OP I'm not making a case for plant selection being, or NOT being, a certain portion of landscape design. I'm only suggesting that the OP may have not yet fully articulated their case and that we may not yet know the totality of this thread's subject or issues. I'm subtly suggesting that the OP might want to add more information. Certainly, the form, character and layout of the plants to be chosen is a design issue. Does the OP wants to go there? We'll see.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here