Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Enclosed Mini-gardens outside of windows?

Posted by castorp z9 FL (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 21, 11 at 14:52

I have noticed these gardens mainly at dentist offices. Each room in the building has a window with a view of a separate mini-garden.

Usually a fence or screen is put up ten-to fifteen feet from the building, creating a small courtyard-like space outside of each window. In each of these spaces, is a small, simple garden.

It's a nice sort of garden for a dentist office, but I was wondering if any of you have ever seen these sorts of gardens around regular houses?

Where does this gardening tradition come from? (It reminds me of photographs I've seen of Chinese gardens). Or did someone invent it especially for dentist offices?

Thanks,

Bill

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Enclosed Mini-gardens outside of windows?

• Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 22, 11 at 1:28

I think it is most directly a link with walled gardens dating back to the Persian and moghul gardens of India. Contemporary non-commercial applications of this sort are common enough in high density urban residential projects all around the world these days.

o

Thanks, bahia.

Now that you mention it, I remember seeing similar gardens at a condo--each unit had a fenced in patio with a door to a common lawn.

Does this contemporary style of miniature enclosed gardens have a name?

Does anyone know of any good books on this style of gardening?

Thanks again,

Bill

o

I am not sure what the contemporary name would be but the template is 'hortus conclusus', there are a lot of images on google. If you really want to get into it there is a book called 'The Enclosed Garden' that will take you there and back.

Here is a link that might be useful: the enclosed garden

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here