Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What would we be getting ourselves into?

Posted by robotropolis none (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 26, 13 at 15:08

Hi all,

First off, this is not my house. This is a cottage we are considering buying and I was wondering if you guys thought it might be more trouble than it is worth?

We are looking for a cottage in Nova Scotia, and this one that we like has quite a steep lot down to the lake (I think that's one reason it's in our price range).

Personally I have little experience living with a steep slope like this. Do you think it's going to be a huge pain in the patoot--I mean, wallet--to work with a lot such as this?

Needs: to be able to get kayaks and kids in and out of the water. No gardening or lawn. No wheelchair access. No motorboat (although I can't swear the husband wouldn't want some dinghy with an outboard in the future).

I'm not looking forward to tumbling down ar&$-over-teakettle with a kayak on my head so would want to make a fairly safe path down.

Any thoughts on what people usually do with lots like this? Thanks for any feedback you can provide, I really appreciate it!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What would we be getting ourselves into?

From the pictures it doesn't look too bad. Why not put a storage area near the dock that way you don't have to lug kayaks down the hill more than one time - to get them to the storage area.

o

• Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 26, 13 at 19:05

Also, a pathway doesn't have to be a straight shot down the hill, but could switchback across the slope to minimize the slope; think a downhill series of s-curve ski tracks to help visualize the pathway. It doesn't look all that steep from the photos, what is the rise compared to run?

o

Thanks for your replies! I was definitely considering switchbacks. itt is about 90 mins away so I have only been out to see it once. If I had to guess I'd say it is maybe an average of 30 percent. But more like 40 or 50 percent near the bottom.

This post was edited by robotropolis on Tue, Aug 27, 13 at 7:44

o

It would be great if you could get out on the lake in a boat to see how properties with similar slopes have been handled.

o

How about a kayak "slide" ... some sort of a chute you could slide the boat straight down and pull it back up with a winch or just pullies.

Or, make a small place next to the dock for summer storage and make a nice zig-zag path down to the dock

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here