Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting under a Cherry Tree

Posted by MsKitty31 none (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 9, 12 at 15:39

I wanted to make a flower bed under an old cherry tree. I was going to use flat stone for the border of the garden and then fill it with some good soil and mulch and add my plants. Now I am thinking this is a bad idea for the tree. I don't want kill it by covering up the roots and am thinking maybe I should just forget this.

There are some old lilac bushes here, which I do not mind, but there are tons of weeds and never ending vines growing through the lilac making it a nasty tangled mess. As you can see I have already started to remove a good portion of the lilac bushes and weeds. I do not believe I ran into any tree roots in this process but I could be wrong. Our soil is sandy so I am not sure if the roots would be deeper in the ground than with clay soil.

The ground goes up to the tree and is not even throughout the area so I would have to add more soil to the left and less as I approached the tree. If I shouldn't do the garden I would like to at least even up the ground, if I can do it without hurting the tree, and plant grass.

Honestly, with all the crap that was growing there I am not sure I can get rid of enough of it to plant grass and not have it poking back up. I don't know what to do with this spot.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting under a Cherry Tree

Another picture.

o
RE: Planting under a Cherry Tree

It was mentioned to me by a friend of mine that maybe adding some soil to even the plane out wouldn't harm the tree due to the fact that I would only be adding soil to approx. 1/4th of the root system?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here