Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roksee

clueless about pathways 3

roksee
9 years ago

well I'm not finished YET... but I'm getting there and really ready to finish. I'm thinking about this design but I am wondering how to ---keep the smaller blue stones adhered to this pathway---- The pictures are not the very best but I think you can get an idea... one pic is the begenning of the pathway and the other is the middle bend (which I haven't worked on yet....) The time of day is a problem with the shadows etc... but I wanted to get this in today to see what kind of help I could get.
there is a layer of gravel and sand underneath what you see.

Comments (20)

• roksee
    Original Author
    9 years ago

next photo

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

you won't be able to keep the smaller blue stones adhered any more than they presently are and will just need to tidy them if they get kicked about.

• roksee
    Original Author
    9 years ago

what about a topping mix in that area?

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

if you mean by "topping mix" something that has mortar in it, it will not stay. Plus, it will not look good adding it over the top. Small stones would need to be set in bed of mortar if you want them to stay and show individually, or as a mulch layer like you have them elsewhere.

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    9 years ago

I think what you've done so far looks really nice.

The flagstones seem close enough and big enough that someone walking on the path shouldn't need to stray over the blue stones.

We had river rock in a side yard with a few flagstones in the middle, but there were HOA workers that would always kick those rocks onto the flagstone. That becomes a rolled ankle hazard. Your blue stones look much smaller than that river rock, so you should be OK.

Good luck placing all the stones. Looking forward to the final reveal!

• roksee
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thank you yardvaark... this is why this site is so precious to me... there are thounsands of ideas from so many people but in the end,.... they rarely have real experience...
    desertdance...I know you have been a support from the beginning... thanks so much for everybody's ongoing support. And I can't tell you how important it is to get your
    opinions about what Im doing...negative or positive :)
    I'll stay in touch.

• roksee
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Its changing every week lol
    roksee

• emmarene9
    9 years ago

Very nice. Congratulations

• roksee
    Original Author
    9 years ago

well, I just have the last touches and clean up on the sides...I still haven't decided what to finish the sides of the pathway with... just to neaten it up.... eventually there will be plants on both sides...haven't decided if they will be container plants or not.
    Any suggestions about either of the above?
    Thanks
    roksee

• bahia
    9 years ago

When I've done inlay stone work between flagstone, I use a dry sand-mortar mix with pebbles packed tightly on edge and pressed into the mortar mix, and the lightly moistened from above to get it to set. This obviously only works for nonfreezing climates and/or light traffic paths. Laying them flat and not tightly spaced is inherently less stable, and not worth the effort to permanently secure, IMO.

• bahia
    9 years ago

When I've done inlay stone work between flagstone, I use a dry sand-mortar mix with pebbles packed tightly on edge and pressed into the mortar mix, and the lightly moistened from above to get it to set. This obviously only works for nonfreezing climates and/or light traffic paths. Laying them flat and not tightly spaced is inherently less stable, and not worth the effort to permanently secure, IMO.

• roksee
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Would polymeric be workable?

• roksee
    Original Author
    9 years ago

any ideas about how to edge this pathway for a 'finished' look? Eventually there will be plants on each side.
    thanks

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

Seems to me that the weak point is the edge. If you "framed" what you have with more or less uniform sized rocks that were about 2 1/2 min. thickness (heavy enough to stay in place) ... that it would look more finished. After installing, remove the existing wavy-edged retainer.

• roksee
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks, looks good... I tried to use rocks that were too big I think.... this does look better. lol yeah I didn't do a very good job with the edging.

• deviant-deziner
    9 years ago

polymetic will not work . you require a material with a lip to retain the loose stone.
    A couple of options could be :
    - A stout metal border will work, professional quality would be my choice at this stage of the process.
    - Flagstone set on edge
    - a sub-surface concrete band with embedded/ mortared stone chips or flagstone to blend in with the existing stone chips.

• roksee
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thank you all

• roksee
    Original Author
    9 years ago

good idea from yardvaark and I hope I can eventrually do that ... but again budget is always an annoying problem
    I still work on edging issues

• roksee
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi ... does anyone have some ideas for low shrubs or bushes and plants that would give color to each side of the pathway. And also even though they might not have flowers year round, at least look attractive year round... northern california...no freezing

• emmarene9
    9 years ago

I think the most important thing is to leave bare soil on both sides of your walk that is at least a foot wide. It is likely that you will want to adjust your path in the future.

Heuchera is something that is easy to find. It has some wonderful colors.