Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whitehautephoto

Drip system layout for hillside

whitehautephoto
11 years ago

Our back hillside use to be covered with groundcover and large shrubs, and we have a normal sprinkler system installed currently. We ripped out all the shrubs and dug out all (almost all) of the groundcover, and the area has now been planted sparsely with succulents, low-water grasses and other desert plants. We are still using the sprinklers to keep the slope watered, but that's giving weeds a tremendous incentive to grow, and they are sprouting up everywhere.

I'm ready to remove the sprinklers and replace with a drip system to go to each plant and cut out the water going to the weeds. My question is, what's the best way to lay out the drip system?

The hillside is probably 150-200 feet long, and the elevation change is probably 10 feet from top to bottom.

Should I start at the water source (which is basically centered along the length of the slope), run tube straight up the hill, then connect horizontal tubes out to the left and right, maybe in three rows, to run the length of the slope, and then use the emitters to run vertically down to the plant?

I've read about using check valves in the tubing to prevent the water all emitting from the lowest tubes after the system shuts off, would that be needed in a design like this one below?

{{gwi:45287}}

Comment (1)