Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daiges26

24 year old Homeowner looking for Design Help

Daiges26
9 years ago

So like the subject states, I am a 24 year old homeowner of a small 1,000 sq ft ranch home in Connecticut. I've owned the house for almost 2 years now and have done a complete overhaul on the interior of the house.

Just this past fall I sided the entire exterior of the house and this past spring I attempted to do some landscaping and I am disappointed with the outcome. I've posted a picture below with my attempt (yes, I realize red mulch was a bad decision haha). The other issue that I have come across is that after moving/ replanting the shrubs/ plants most of them died due to my lack of knowledge on how to keep them alive. So on a positive note, I can essentially start from scratch. The negative side, is that I am on a tight budget but willing to spend money where it is necessary. All of the labor would be done myself though.

Due to my 70 hour work week, I ask that any recommendations would require little maintenance. I also ask for "unique" recommendations because most of the homes in my neighborhood are all similar/ basic.

Thanks for all the help in advanced!

Comments (9)

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

You might take a couple of minutes and read the thread about taking pictures. (Link below.) It would be good to add a better one.

"I also ask for "unique" recommendations..." You're asking for something we can't see examples of, to be avoided. Maybe you could qualify what "unique" looks like to you.

Here is a link that might be useful: taking pictures

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

" also ask for "unique" recommendations because most of the homes in my neighborhood are all similar/ basic. "

there's a reason you see a lot of a certain plant or paver in an area:

It's what grows well
    It's locally available
    It's affordable

It's traditional (not as good a reason as the first three)

• bahia
    9 years ago

Functions of the landscape, views from inside to be considered, movement through the landscape from the driveway, and/or the street, need/desire for shade, snow off roof concerns, etc all make a satisfactory design more than just selecting low maintenance plants that are within your skill and time set. Approaching this as simply or primarily about curb appeal seems shortsighted. I would want to address all these issues if undertaking any proposed design, as well as tease out more information on your likes/dislikes about neighboring landscapes and your budget.

And just to bring this back to reality, there are very few truly low to no maintenance garden designs. Anything that grows needs some level of care, watering, pruning, cleanup, fertilizing, some much more than others.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

"Approaching this as simply or primarily about curb appeal seems shortsighted." Not really. A primary goal sums up the main objective, but in no way determines that there are not secondary goals. Secondary goals might not be specifically mentioned because so much of the time they are obvious and automatically considered. Certainly, if they weigh on the OPs mind they get mentioned.

Hopefully, Daiges, we will see some new photos soon.

• bahia
    9 years ago

Missing the point completely, no surprise. Aesthetics related to view from street shouldn't be driving the landscape design as the primary objective, and one can't assume any of the other pragmatic spatial/circulation/functional issues are automatically considered because they are obvious is a disservice to the whole landscape design process. Window dressing is a poor substitute for considered design solutions, a basic fact, not just someone's contrary opinion. Pat repetitive design solutions that are formulaic and always the same advised for each residence do nothing to establish a functional landscape nor any unique individuality.

More site and climate and info on client's wants and needs is necessary before useful advice can be provided tailered to this project.

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    9 years ago

I'm a landscaper who has been re-doing homeowner's 'landscaping' for more years than I care to think about. It is impossible to know what to design based on a picture of the house. A good landscaper will interview you to find out your level of commitment, expertise, budget, etc. These facts are ultimately more important than the home and its exposure.

That said-most community colleges have courses in homeowner landscaping. The cost for the course will be small when compared to the time, money and effort you spend in planting a landscape that doesn't work and won't survive.

Also-don't buy plants because you like the way they look. Find out mature size, water and sun requirements, soil needs-everything you can BEFORE you buy. Trying to keep a plant that wants to grow to ten feet to just two feet by 'pruning' will only make both you and the plant miserable.

If I were you, I would spend the money on a good design by a qualified designer. It will save you more than you know in time, labor, money and lost growing time.

Good luck!

Linda

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

Daiges, if you want to proceed with getting help you'll need to provide more information. Don't be put off by authoritative sounding drivel as if it were fact instead opinion. Some people have ulterior motives.

"It is impossible to know what to design based on a picture of the house."Are you saying that a person cannot get suggestions and recommendations based on pictures?

• Just_One_Nerve_Left
    9 years ago

Based purely on aesthetics with a couple of my personal preferences tied in.

1. I would make the path wider, ideally around 5' (5' is roughly the width it takes for 2 people to walk comfortably side by side). I also like the functionality of wider paths for hauling in and out furniture etc. I like stamped concrete and brick. I would not recommend gravel or stepping stones since it messes with its primary function - safe travel.

2. I wouldn't plant anything on the lawn side of the path. And keep the first 1-2 feet on the house side with low growing plants, 6" to 18" tall. You do not want to have people having to "lean" away from plants growing near the path.

3. With regard to plantings and flower beds. Always make sure the soil slopes away from the house. Do not plant anything that will eventually cover up windows. I would say roughly 1' of clearance around the whole visual border of the window (or 1/3 of the window space around the edge). You need to maintain emergency access out of the house. I personally would recommend against thorny/sappy plants under windows unless you are very concerned about theft/crime.

4. I like to use flower bed borders. It helps keep the lawn out of flower beds, and makes things more tidy looking. I use 2 horizontal bricks with a vertical partially buried brick on the flower bed side. It gives you a nice edge that prevents plants from growing underneath and a good edge for mowing the lawn and for using an edging tool while keeping things relatively flat so you can mow all the way to the edge. You can also do concrete or plastic edging too, I just don't like the appearance as well.

5. It depends on if you like a more structured French style, a dense free-flowing English cottage style or Asian meandering soft and textured gardens. I tend to favor more color and free flowing, especially for low maintenance. With that in mind I would make the flower bed on the far side of the house with rounded meandering edges to add interest and make it less structured.

6. Plant things in odd numbers (1, 3, 5,7 etc). It helps make the garden space look more natural so we are less likely to want to create symmetry out of the garden, thus reducing maintenance.

5. I am guessing that your house is north facing based on the picture but not necessarily super shady. I would consider adding hostas, periwinkle, violets, astilbe closer to the house where it is shaded most of the day. Variegated (striped) varieties are often a good choice. As long as it isn't TOO dark, you can get most anything to grow in shade, it just won't bloom as well and will be more "leggy."

6. Perhaps along the far fence line place some low maintenance shrub roses, lilacs, lily, iris, and for a more wildflower feel Shasta and Fiesta Daisies, and Black-Eyed Susan. I personally find evergreen junipers very boring, so look for plants that you like and will grow in your climate. You will have a lot more options than you realize.

7. A tree out in the yard could be nice, can't really tell from the picture. But I would probably go with something fairly short. Make sure to follow the golden ratio, or essentially think in thirds. Keep spaces at 1 or 2 units away for every 3 units tall (or 3 units away with 1 unit tall etc). It is naturally pleasing and helps prevent you from planting something that is too tall and close to the house, in case of a toppled tree or something.

8. Always plan for the final size/result. It is okay to pick something fast growing or annual to fill in the gaps, just realize you will have to remove them once things "fill-in."

9. Landscaping/gardening tends to be a process where you end up identifying new needs/wants after a few years as you develop your personal tastes. Don't feel like you have to do the entire space at once.

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    9 years ago

Go to the lawn forum and figure out how to make your lawn lush. That's your big problem. Fix the lawn. If you want curb appeal, then you need to make some places along the driveway for seasonal flowers. Dig em up when they die, and put new in. Is that what you want?

IMHO Fix the lawn.