Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jakkom

Timber Cove Inn/Jenner: Who landscaped it?

jakkom
11 years ago

I spent half an hour on Google clicking on links but couldn't find who did the landscaping for their sunken courtyard. It's small but very beautiful. Thought maybe one of our pros here might know.

At any rate, enjoy the photos! I took them last week when we stayed overnight at the TC Inn.

Looking straight at the sunken garden. The sidewalk leading from the parking lot to the front entrance is a few feet to the left:

{{gwi:45569}}

A view of the back corner of the sunken garden. I'm standing right outside the front entrance. The building in the back is one of the wings that has the ocean view rooms.

{{gwi:45570}}

This is right in the middle of the parking lot, forming a circular traffic pattern. Love the rock, the plantings were a bit minimal but very healthy:

{{gwi:45571}}

I'm envious, my Anigozanthos didn't survive in my garden. I love those dark red flowers and they really showed up well against the boulder and the purple limonium.

{{gwi:45572}}

Comments (4)

• deviant-deziner
    11 years ago

When I lived up there - about 29 years ago - there were several locals who had their hand in it , mostly Kevin McCoy, who was the only one out of the bunch who actually had his landscape contractors license.
    ( hippies, pot heads, hort heads and reclusives didn't adopt well to licensing ;-) )

A lot of the old timers are still there going great work but there has been an influx of some wonderful new talent.
    I wouldn't be suprised if Helen Garcia had a hand in the planting. She's in her mid to late 70's and is still going strong. Her native Aussie roots often shows in her gardens.
    Helen and I worked together on the Hwy One heather garden in Gualala. She still ocassionally consults to the maintenance gardener and with the owners.
    Many of the native gardens on The Sea Ranch have been touched by her creative hand as well as many of the bed and breakfast inns from Jenner to Ft. Bragg.
    At least two generations of gardeners from the coast have her to thank for years of humble education.

• jakkom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks! See, I knew you or bahia would know. I did see Kevin McCoy's name when I googled but couldn't find any specific references to his work on Timber Cove.

The landscaping and public rooms at TCI are lovely. The guest rooms, not so much. Very, very 1960's. Not too impressed with the restaurant on-site, Alexander's. Super-fast Net, though.

• deviant-deziner
    11 years ago

The food has never been highly rated and although I have never been in the guest rooms, I would imagine that they would be dated unless a major renovation has taken place in the last few years.
    A lot of the inns that were built in the 70's are showing their wear, even St. Orres and Whale Watch inn.
    I tend to stay at the old Mar Vista cottages or with friends when I visit the area, though my partner is hankering to stay on The Sea Ranch in one of Charles Moore's houses.

I absolutely love this area of the world and could easily move back up there.
    pix of the Hiway 1 Heather garden in Gualala that we designed back in the 90's
    {{gwi:45574}}From Heather Garden in Gualala CA

• TCIGM
    11 years ago

Hello All,

Keith Hill here, General Manager of Timber Cove Inn. To answer the OP's question, our landscaping is performed by Green Images & Design, a small company based in Petaluma, CA. We have been happy with their work! Their most recent project was an exciting addition to the property - an herb garden featuring two varieties of parsley, two varieties of thyme, rosemary, marjoram, cilantro, oregano, and lavender. Our culinary team uses these herbs in our all-new cuisine featuring local ingredients and tapas portions, designed such that you can enjoy a wider variety of flavors.

As for our guest rooms, they received a makeover in 2008, but we have begun an extensive renovation in which EVERYTHING will be new and modern while preserving the 'soul' that has kept the property alive for nearly 50 years. Check us out!

Happy Gardening.....

- Keith

Here is a link that might be useful: Timber Cove Inn

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler