Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Curb Appeal Plantings for 3b Victorian Cottage

Posted by prairiedawnpam 3b (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 22, 10 at 17:32

Hi. I'm new to this forum. I've jumped over from the decor area because I need front yard help. Our house and TEENY front garden are a work in progress. This is how we bought the house:

Photobucket

The house is placed far forward on the lot. The only lawn is from the edge of the "dry creek" to the sidewalk on the left. The stones are Montana Rainbow:

Photobucket

I am debating if the rock should come out entirely or just be softened by a flower bed. We did just plant an Evans Cherry in that bit of lawn, but I'm not sure if its going to live (we didn't prep our clay soil well enough).

The driveway was extended to the right by the previous owners. We may take the extension out to remove some of the hardness of the landscape. If we do, what should go there? Lawn? Evergreens? Pots?

This is Hubby's vision for our house (it needs tweaking, but its a start):
smokey blue paint and exterior reno plans

A friend did this for me and its a bit different:
Aunty Rita's suggestions

Our front yard "view" is of the cul-de-sac street we live on. Neighbourhood kids play street hockey year 'round. We don't use that piece of lawn at all.

My questions are:

- Is there an evergreen that might survive the winter in a porch planter in my 3b zone?

- What evergreens would have a columnar (preferred) or globe shape and maximum height of 4 ft? (I want fewer than Hubby drew and shorter heights.)

- Does it matter that we don't have a front walkway? We just use the driveway.

- Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance!

...Pam

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Curb Appeal Plantings for 3b Victorian Cottage

I forgot to mention that the yard's exposure is west and gets a lot of sun and wind. Our soil has lots of clay in it. We are in Alberta, Canada.

o

Your place is some cold in winter,I add some maple...maybe you select some.
Photobucket

Here is a link that might be useful: if need more pic designing

o

Pam,

Just a quick thought and your winter may affect this, think about Grass Crete blocks to replace your concrete on the right of the photo. Then you can use it to park vehicles on but looks like a lawn. Aloha

o

Thank you, Lehua! They use grass crete blocks at the college where I work. What a brilliant idea!

Ideasshare, the scale of your drawing seems inaccurate. I don't have room for all of those trees.

...Pam

o

they only are juniper bush in the space left of the stair,need only 1 feet mud.

Here is a link that might be useful: if need more pic designing

o

Space, scale, suitability... has never been an impediment.

Add risers to the stairs, for sure, but I might also scale back the gingerbreading and architectural detailing - especially the flying buttress on the right. (I realize it's just a plan in the idea stage.)

Does the dry creek actually channel water? Purely decorative because previous owners didn't want much to mow? If it's purely for some kind of look, I'd take them up and use elsewhere - in the backyard, maybe. It's a nice color blend of rock.

Container gardening in cold climates is iffy. I've had spruce sprout up in pots and left exposed - they seem to survive quite well. I don't know if I'd want to try it with something I paid money for.

o

You said you don't use the walkway but what about guests or the mailman? How do they get to your front door? You may want to change your concrete front walk but it seems like there should be some way of reaching your front door that doesn't involve walking on yard. Although concrete is probably easiest to shovel.

o

Keep the walkway. Houses without them are hostile. (I've lived in one.) If anything, widen the area in front of the stairs.

Replace the stairs. They are the least attractive thing right now. A nice house should have enclosed stairs.

You're in 3b. Keep evergreens in front, or more than half the year, the front will look naked. They don't have to be the same evergreens--in that little space, I'd go for bigger ones instead of the double layer there now.

I'd replace the whole gravel bed with a planting space. I'd make a minimum of 1/3 of the planting material evergreen. In 3b, I'd go more toward 1/2.

A small, pretty tree (not sure what does well in your climate) will add some weight to the left side of the house. Don't crowd it against the foundation, though.

o

ideasshare - Junipers will do well on my property. Thank you.

deuluthinbloomz - I'm not sure what was intended with the rock. It didn't really look like jor function as a dry creek, but that's what I'm turning it into because we do have a water problem. Our neighbourhood was built on a series of underground springs and bogs that were filled in -- how sad -- and our sump pump runs constantly, draining to the front of the house. The upside is that we NEVER have to water that teeny patch of lawn, but sometimes it does get too wet. I have researched what a dry creek SHOULD look like and have already started on it. The sump pipe will spill into the dry creek and flow to the street.

tanowicki - We do not have a separate walkway, just the driveway. I think I'll remove the extension on the driveway (on the right) to soften the look, but that will not impact on anyone getting to our front door.

reyesuela - The stairs will get risers. There's lots of valuable space under them that I'd like to use for storage once its made invisible. I agree with your tip to go with 1/2 evergreens. The yard does look dead and naked most of the year. I guess that's why many folks use fake plants on their porches.

...Pam

o
Incorporating a Pond with Sump and Rainwater Drainage

I'm looking for a simple and inexpensive ideas for incorporating sump and rainwater drainage into a TEENY front landscape. I've learned our neighbourhood was built on top of a spring -- groan -- which is why our sump runs very frequently, even though our region is is semi desert (3b in Alberta, Canada). Our little patch of lawn -- which may be removed because its not enough to warrant a lawn mower -- is LUSH. I'm wondering about making something decorative out of the water source. The previous owner put a lot of rock in the landscape, so there is a dry creek in the making now. What about adding a pond or some sort of collection basin? I know my choice of plantings in that area may depend on what I do with all the water produced by the sump. Thanks in advance for your ideas.

...Pam

Here is a link that might be useful: My front yard now

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here