Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ellusionz

Thickening up treed area for more privacy

ellusionz
11 years ago

I'm looking to add a bit more privacy to the front yard area of my house. I live in the city but managed to find a home off a dirt road so it kind of has a country feel to it. But right now on the right side of the house we have a bunch of trees on the property line, with higher grasses/weeds in between. I don't want to do a row of shrubs or anything, I want to keep the woodsy feel. My idea is to thicken it up some with plants and then I'd like to extend it to run along the front of the yard to block the roadway. I love the idea of driving down thru "woods" until you see the house that pops out of nowhere. (Photo shows roadway coming toward my house, far side of yard is the woodys border I need to thicken).

There is a power line along the front so I'm assuming the trees can't go higher than like 20 feet. I want to add a smaller weeping tree if possible, I've always wanted one. Also, I'd prefer plants that will attract birds & butterflies. I have a suriniam cherry tree I still need to plant if that might help somewhere, plus a michelia alba I'm still debating where I want to put in the front yard. And the other issue is the septic system is in the front closer to the house side. I don't know how far roots can travel, but don't want anything more than 30 feet maybe?

Thanks for all your help!

{{!gwi}}

Comments (8)