Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
restoringahomestead

Leyland Cypress Trees

Hi,

I'd like to know if Leyland Cypress trees will do well in Boise, ID. We are zone 6a.

I'm looking for a fast growing every green for a privacy screen and I found 4' at a really good price. But I want know they will do well in our zone.

Thanks,
Rick

Comments (13)

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    10 years ago

Thinking that this question is connected to your other thread, I think it would have been better posted there in order to keep the context in tact.

Also, in thinking that it relates to the question along the drive I am wondering if you're trying to shoot a mosquito with an elephant gun. Leylands have their drawbacks, so be sure to investigate them before you buy. But there is not anything necessarily ugly about the sky itself in your other picture. So I'm not sure why you wish to wall it off to such an extended degree.

• restoringahomestead
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yardvaark,

In a way you are correct. This is in regard to the drive way. But I didn't want to confuse matters as I just wanted to know if in general, the Leyland Cypress will work in our area or not. What kind of research (where would I go, besides here to find out the problems with them???)

You are correct, for now, the sky in the Boise area is still beautiful. (Wait when MORE Californians show up here and we end with smog, and that will change.)

Also, the larger picture here is that I am VERY fearful that the field in front of us, is going to turn into houses in the future and I don't want ANYTHING to do with them. Also, in the picture, the house looks as if it's miles away. But really it's only maybe two football fields away and that roof sticks WAY up there and so we need something 12 months out of the year that wold be every bit of 16' high at the fence in order to hide not only that house from the view out my front window. But also our house from the busy street that is in front of that field I was telling you about.

Plus, I LOVE trees! And Boise may translate into City of Trees. Out were we are it's farm country and not many trees at ALL! And I like the forest idea.

Rick

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    10 years ago

Leyland is plagued with a number of disease and pest issues. A Google can bring them up.

• bahia
    10 years ago

I'd suggest you research recommended trees/shrubs/perennials for Idaho. A simple google search using "trees recommended for Idaho" turned up a list/pamphlet 860 from the University of Idaho Extension Services that will give you better information on the best plant choices, disease issues, rate of growth and mature sizes; certainly better than general recommendations from here, by people who aren't as familiar with your climate and soils. In general, you may find it useful to use some fast growing deciduous trees for faster screening, while also planting slower growing higher value permanent shrubs or evergreens to replace them over time. I suspect there are few evergreen vines for a 6 foot fence in your climate that could give all season screening, so fast growing shrubs and deciduous trees might be better for your intentions.

• bahia
    10 years ago

I'd suggest you research recommended trees/shrubs/perennials for Idaho. A simple google search using "trees recommended for Idaho" turned up a list/pamphlet 860 from the University of Idaho Extension Services that will give you better information on the best plant choices, disease issues, rate of growth and mature sizes; certainly better than general recommendations from here, by people who aren't as familiar with your climate and soils. In general, you may find it useful to use some fast growing deciduous trees for faster screening, while also planting slower growing higher value permanent shrubs or evergreens to replace them over time. I suspect there are few evergreen vines for a 6 foot fence in your climate that could give all season screening, so fast growing shrubs and deciduous trees might be better for your intentions.

• bahia
    10 years ago

I don't know why the above posted twice... Some other considerations besides creating fast privacy should also be considered when selecting possible trres/shrubs. Such as how much irrigation they may need, soil preferences,(moist/rich/acid/alkaline/dry, etc), salt tolerance to road salt, how long lived or degree of maintenance is required.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    10 years ago

Leylands actually do very well in the PNW and have far few disease issues than elsewhere in the country. And I'd have to agree with David above that checking locally (or even on a regional forum here at GW) for area-specific plant selection is a much more appropriate venue than a design forum.

It is sometimes hard for laypeople to accept but plant selection is really only a very minor, end-stage aspect of landscape design :-)

• restoringahomestead
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Garden gal,
    Sorry. I did NOT know that.

I DID post on the Idaho region forum, but I don't think anyone goes on there anymore :-(.

I will look into the link he gave and I was able to green some really good information off the publication some else suggested to look at as well.

Thanks,
    Rick

• rosiew
    10 years ago

There's a good reason the leylands were such a good price - they grow like weeds - hope you don't plant them. If you do, they should be at least 15' from a property line and 20' apart, minimum.

Where I live they've been overplanted, planted too close to each other. You can't plant closely and then take out some because the interiors die out and won't grow back. Hope you find a great substitute for your region.

A p.s., you've gotten advice from Bahia and gardengal, two of the most respected and knowledgeable of our members.

• restoringahomestead
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Rosie,

Thanks for all the good advice. And I have taken ALL the advice I've gotten here and used. I actually looked at the brochure Bahia suggested and Leyland is one of the recommended trees for fast growing and privacy screen.

I'm nor sure WHAT all to do you have to understand that we are trying to create some privacy up a driveway we have. We live out in the country and have a open 8 acre field in front of us, and with so much farm land going to development in the last decade around here I'm fearful the old guy, or worse, when he passes away he's kids get greedy, and sell to developers who will build houses RIGHT next to us and then start complaining because we have pigs, goats chickens and horse. (Of course we do, we're a farm ya knucklehead and they were ALL here when you decided to BUY your house!! (Sorry it always sends me on the tyrate) )

Anyway... I put the drive I'm talking about on here so you guys can see it... Yeah it's a little tight there. But dense privacy for the future worries is kinda what I'm trying to go for here. :-)

Rick

• rosiew
    10 years ago

Leyland is fast growing for a screen, but not suitable for an area only 6' deep.

Keep studying, you're going to find the perfect solutions.

• restoringahomestead
    Original Author
    10 years ago

DANG IT!!!! :-)

• rosiew
    10 years ago

Get over it dude. (insert smiley face here), then get those big boy panties on, acknowledge that this doesn't have to be solved today, read a lot, look for plantings in your area that are in similar narrow areas. Meanwhile, get that soil tested.

Rosie