Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what would look good with a noraway spruce?

Posted by kjmama 6 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 26, 10 at 18:27

We moved into a house with a gorgeous noraway spruce. I would like to add a tree on either side of it to make a screen. What would be pretty?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what would look good with a noraway spruce?

match japanese maple,but shape designing is important.

Here is a link that might be useful: if need pic designing

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 26, 10 at 21:14

If this is a seedling Norway spruce it will grow quite large. Room needs to be allowed for its future size.

And companion plants need to grow big enough themselves to be in scale with the tree. Since trees are accent points in the landscape, a Japanese maple near a full-sized Norway spruce could easily produce a David and Goliath effect.

o

This spruce is very large, yes.

o

So what scale are we talking about - how much room on either side?
Do you want year-round or seasonal screening?
What other attributes matter?
A photo of the area would help.

KarinL

o

OK, here are the pics. There is a neighbor i am wanting to screen out, year round. The space is about the same size on either side of the spruce, equal to the spruce, maybe a bit more? I want to put something there but don't want to ruin its beauty. Thanks :)

Here is looking down from front porch to the neighbor I want to screen.

From curb appeal

This is also from the front porch, on the right side of the tree. The two bushes are gone.

From curb appeal

From the street, the bushes are gone

From curb appeal

o

Maybe need soft big the spruce.
Photobucket

Here is a link that might be useful: other pic design

o

I would recommend giving the N. Spruce a little room and plant another evergreen (many to choose from, maybe even go with a pine to add varying texture) further away. When it comes to screening, all too often trees are planted too close together to accomplish the goal. Instead, use some evergreen shrubs to in-fill. I'm thinking Photinia, Euonymous (lot's to choose from), and maybe even silverberry (eleagnus pungens, if it grows in your area). Take the opportunity to make your "screen" pleasing to look at. Hope this helps!

Bob

o

I agree that looking at "a tree" to put on either side is unnecessarily limiting. In fact, in the case of the screening the neighbour, it won't even do the trick; you need a lower, wider screen to block their view of you or vice versa.

KarinL

o

Arbs would work well. As "cliche" as it is, they are popular for a reason.

o

Thank you for the great ideas and pictures. Wow those help so much!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here