Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what to do in corner of yard

Posted by wigardenerwannabe Z5 WI (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 6, 13 at 19:07

I finally got fed up with a mock orange bush in the corner of my yard, that simply refused to bloom and pulled it out today. As you can see by the photos there is a mature silver maple tree on the other side of the fence, so there is some root competiton. It's funny as I had the MN mock orange in the other corner (also in close proximity to another silver maple tree) that does beautifully every spring, so I'm not sure that it was related to the silver maple... or just an unreliable shrub that holds little interest. In any case I'm at a loss with what to put there. As you can see there is an Black Lace close by as well, that has become quite large, and I think speaks against another large bush next to it. I was wondering if I could plant a smaller tree in that corner....or if I should plant some kind of viburnum...or simply fill the whole bed with day lilies. I'm including photos. I have been very slowly trying to change out my perennials with more of a mixed border with more shrubs. I'm open to feedback and suggestions. Many thanks.

Here is a link that might be useful: corner spot

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what to do in corner of yard

Layers ... I'm thinking a smaller, possibly multi-stemmed, understory tree to make the transition from the high canopy of the tree to the lower shrub and even lower herbaceous perennials. (It would also help screen the view of the neighbor's shed which is now nicely framed by aforesaid tree and shrub.)

o

agarden,
thanks for your input. That is what I was hoping to do so will have to start looking at ornamental trees to see my options. I have had an Amelanchier, Autumn Brilliance in for about 3-4 years in another part of the back yard....and although healthy it just seems like it won't grow! So, I'll have to look to others that might actually grow a bit faster and fill the area. I like the idea of 3 season interest.

o

Dont forget to include tall shrubs as a possibility. They can be grown like a tree.

o

The Black Lace can be pruned back, it will come back nicely.

I concur with the idea of blocking the view of the shed. I like viburnum dentatum for size, but don't know if it will get enough sun to fill out properly. Day lilies won't be tall enough to provide the balance that you need.

Competing with the roots of a silver maple is difficult, too. Listen to your local plant dealer.

Jim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here