Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Privacy Tree Ideas for NW

Posted by technodogg 8b (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 8, 14 at 19:34

Greetings,

We just finished some re-grading and the building of a retaining wall. Now we are starting to think about plantings. We would like to plant some privacy trees along the top of the retaining wall to block view of neighbors house (see picture). We live in Seattle and the picture is facing east. Right side of the yard gets good sun first half of the day, while the left side gets good sun for the later half of the day.

We don't want just a row of Arborvitaes. Instead, a variety of colors would be nice. Would prefer something with a mature height of 15-20 ft with a max width (or prunable width) of 10ft. Perhaps, Golden Cypress? Any ideas?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Privacy Tree Ideas for NW

What is to the left of the retaining wall?

Show the area that needs privacy.

o

Thanks for the post. I've attached another picture that shows the area (above the wall) that needs privacy from the house shown in the original image. That is, we would like a row of privacy trees on the top side of the wall to block view of the neighbors house.

o

qwertyuiop[]

This post was edited by Yardvaark on Fri, Aug 15, 14 at 21:32

o

Perhaps, a drawing would help. See attached...

o

qwertyuiop[

This post was edited by Yardvaark on Fri, Aug 15, 14 at 21:35

o

RE: Yardvaark

Look, I know I'm asking for help and you're trying to, which I appreciate, but if you're not going to spend the minimum amount of time to actually read the original question then please don't post a response.

Original post was very clear - we want some trees to put on the topside of the retaining wall to block the view of the house, AS SHOWN IN THE PICTURE.

I am being very specific in my question, so as not to waste anyone's time - I don't need general advice for the whole yard, just some ideas for privacy trees. What we do with the area below the wall, or where the "freaks" (as you put it) will be sitting is irrelevant. I just was looking for suggestions on NW trees with mature height of 15-20 ft, with max width of 10ft. If you don't know that fine, just quit conflating the thread with irrelevant questions.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 16, 14 at 15:51

Arbutus unedo
Azara microphylla
Fargesia robusta
Laurus nobilis
Myrica californica
Osmanthus heterophyllus

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here