Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Post Light/Lantern for backyard patio

Posted by pm92508 SoCAL (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 30, 12 at 20:01

Any thoughts/experience using any particular size/design/brand? Not much to see at local Home Depot or Lowes. I am interested in 3 head post light. Something like this -

http://www.mylightingshop.com/shop/pc/3-Light-Pole-Light-by-Trans-Globe-Lighting-19p1693.htm

Lowes carries exact similar design from other maker for $129 but the reviews are bad.

I am leaning towards this style because most others are much taller (this one is 79"). I have a big backyard but not huge so don't want to trouble my neighbors with tall light posts. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Post Light/Lantern for backyard patio

Since you didn't say exactly what you're trying to light or the parameters, I can only say that if this is general lighting, one concentrated light source will seem more harsh than that which is spread out. A light source too close to the ground will be less effective than one higher placed. Most screening to combat a neighbor's light source occurs at the lot line.

When adding a link to the thread, use the "Optional Link URL" while creating message so that the link is clickable.

o

Below is the link.

This is to light up/decorate backyard of size over 3000 sq ft with most stamped concrete patio. The posts will be about 12 ft inside from the fence with fruit trees and palms along the fence.

Your reply made me think about two concentrated light sources. The posts will look good during daytime complementing the concrete patio but not sure when they are lit unless I go with low intense bulbs. May be I should go with single head light? I am thinking now. Thanks for the reply.

Here is a link that might be useful: Light Post

o

I would advise that you take some "work" lights on long extension cords outside at night and experiment with various lighting positions and number of sources. You'll see what a huge difference moving lights around and different light levels will make. Play with it. When you achieve an effect you like, try to recreate it with permanent lighting. I always prefer light EFFECTS that are visible rather than the light sources themselves.

o

• Posted by catkim San Diego 10/24 (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 31, 12 at 14:43

It would help to see the style of your home and back patio area. The style of the lampposts is sort of mini-Victorian street light, rather a Disneyesque Main Street look. If you can get outside the big box and try a specialty lighting store, you will have more options. Good lighting isn't usually "in your face", but more subtle -- as Yard said, you'll see the lighting effects, not so much the fixture.

o

I think you would benefit from reading one or all of Randall Whiteheads books on Outdoor lighting.

http://www.randallwhitehead.com/books_etc/book_outdoor.php

Unless you are going for a disneyland look or you are lighting a commercial property, lamp post lighting is not a very pleasing light to have in a residential back yard.

Here is a link that might be useful: randall whitehead

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here