Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
miss_rumphius_rules

LEAF Magazine

If you are interested in Design Outside and landscape design in general, there is a new digital magazine that will publish in the fall called Leaf. The subscriptions are free at http://www.leafmag.com.

Comments (11)

• inkognito
    12 years ago

A new magazine called Leaf to be launched in the fall, I hope this isn't a bad omen susan, are you involved in its production?

Long time no see.

• nandina
    12 years ago

Ink, answer to your question will be found on these two blogs, Miss Rumphius Rules and Studio G. We should see a very well written, creative magazine from three talented designers.

• mjsee
    12 years ago

I signed up. I can't wait!

• miss_rumphius_rules
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I was thrilled to see nadina and ink comment on this! Thanks so much...I hope you liked the mag! Next one will be ready (with fingers crossed) in February.

Here is a link that might be useful: Leaf Magazine

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    12 years ago

I'm feeling obsolete... :-) Digital magazine format leaves me cold! I simply do not process information that way. I like to be able to take in/scan the pages at a glance to be able to focus quickly on what interest me - and mentally edit out the stuff that doesn't (most ads...) While the digital format can show two pages at once, the scale shrinks the text etc., which is harder to older eyes to then seperate the wheat from the chaff so to speak :-) I tried 'flipping through' the magazine in the link and quickly gave up in frustration before getting past page 9!

Good luck with your digital venture, but I'll stick to paper magazines as long as they are available....

• deviant-deziner
    12 years ago

You can order it in print form too for anyone who finds the digital form not their cup of tea.

The debut issue packed a punch ! Starting off with a wonderful photograph on the cover taken by Saxon Holt of a courtyard garden designed by Topher Delaney
    Inside the issue you'll find a nice broad reach of articles and photos that appeal to anyone with an interest in design, horticulture, gardens and places to see great gardens.
    I enjoyed the travel segment that took the reader to Boston. It was a fun little excursion.
    Looking forward to the second issue.

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    12 years ago

That worked ok browsing on my android phone but probably would need my laptop to really read.

Loaded fast, could zoom to read, just a little clumsy on the controlls. Perhaps I just need to find the correct zoom setting.

Amazing page quality.

• missingtheobvious
    12 years ago

Lovely magazine. Too many things to mention, but I can't omit these:

I fell in love with Dustin Gimbel's hypertufa rock cairn thingies. Going to make those, I swear! I think a few short-ish ones wouldn't look amiss in the lawn bed. Some in brick red, some in white, to match the house. Got to keep the neighbors convinced I'm weird.

And spent a huge amount of time staring at the tiny photo of the antique stove top dehydrator at the wonderful -- if water-logged -- Massachusetts sale of antiques and Interesting Stuff. Here's a larger photo of its twin, with description, for any of you other closet fans of home dehydrators:
    http://artantiquesmichigan.com/plain-simple-smalls/antique-primitive-e-b-fahrney-food-dehydrator-18-1900s/
    And a pricier sibling:
    http://www.throughthehouse.com/catalog/i308.html

• nandina
    12 years ago

Must admit that it took me a bit of time to figure out how to read a digital magazine. Determined to conquer the process I slowly began to realize how easily the writers could link me into other sites of interest related to a topic. Yup...slow down and take your time reading the LEAF. All sorts of treasures buried in those pages. Such as the strip tease act linked into pages 30-31. Did you find that one, Ink?

• inkognito
    12 years ago

Miss Rumphius Rules brought a life to this forum, a forum that I, in my naivety thought would develop into something akin to LEAF. When Susan had an exhibition we all got behind it and we had some of the best times here. I can't match her energy, she calls herself a 'workaholic' but as the member of a team...wow!

When I think about the people who have passed through this forum in the time that I have been here or watched from Disneyland I wish we had someone with the skills to bring it all together: it wasn't me and it didn't happen although I hope we were in some way an inspiration for the LEAFing out.

• mjsee
    12 years ago

I remember that thread Ink...we DID have fun. ;^) I need to do a better job of checking in on this forum...and LEAF is a good read.