Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dbermpls

unsolvable garage flooding?

Dbermpls
10 years ago

I really appreciate any advice and expertise.

I have an older garage that has undoubtedly settled a little bit with time. In heavy rain I get a little water in the garage but it's not a big deal. However in the winter when the ground is frozen it turns into an ice lake. What happens is that in Minneapolis the sun will get warm enough to melt some snow during the day and then it will run down the driveway and sit as liquid during the day and freeze at night. The next day it doesn't fully thaw but more water gets added and then frozen until it's a pretty big puddle up to 3 inches deep. The water accumulates pretty slowly It's never a river of water running down my driveway just a little bit each day adding to the glacier.

I've had four contractors look at it and say that it needs to be tore down and replaced for $15-20k for my little one car garage.

I've read a lot about dry wells, but i'm not confident if they will work in the winter. My idea is that if I dig down 6ft (frostline is 3'6'') and put in a plastic catch basin and then run a pvc pipe up to ground level with a drain I might be able to keep the the catch basin from freezing when it gets cold at night.

I don't need to dissipate a ton of water every day just enough to keep up with the snow melt that ends up running on the driveway.

Thanks for looking

Comment (1)