Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
best gravel for pathway

Posted by madtripper 5/6 Guelph (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 15, 10 at 22:01

I use wood chips on most paths, but have a couple where I would prefer to use gravel.

Three years ago I made a path using about 3" of crushed limestone. It was great, much better than the dirt I had before.

Each year I seem to get more and more self seeding plants in it. The crushed limestone is quite fine, and I think it just gives some seed a great bed for germinating.

Would a larger gravel not have this problem? How large should it be?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: best gravel for pathway

• Posted by laag z6CapeCod (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 16, 10 at 21:37

Larger stone develops a different situation that promotes weeds. That is that more organic material falls into the voids and develops soil that is ripe for germination.

Limestone may hold moisture better than some less porous stone. That might not happen so much with a granite or quartz stone. I'm not sure that it would make a big difference, though.

What is done by the higher end landscape contractor's in my area is to make the base for the path out of a much more solidly compactable material such as a road base or reprocessed asphaltic gravel (ground up asphalt mixed with gravel, not a hotmix) that is then compacted. Then a minimal thickness of a surface stone is put over that for the aesthetic surface. The compaction inhibits growth, the thin surface inhibits the development of soil on top (and makes it easy to walk on).

It is not the best solution for all circumstances. A couple of negatives are that it is not a truly pervious walk and will have runoff and it is more difficult to clean up if you change your plans.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here