Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elyash

Pavers -quality & differences between brands

elyash
10 years ago

Cambridge, Belgard, Uni-lock, Capitol, techno-bloc and
Capitol are the brands sold around here. Can anyone tell me if they differ in quality? Does anyone know if through color or a top color is better? (We do get snow.) Does anyone have experience with any of these brands - pro or con? Thanks.

Comments (6)

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    10 years ago

duplicate post deleted

This post was edited by Yardvaark on Wed, Aug 7, 13 at 10:23

• violetwest
    10 years ago

I checked Consumer Reports for you, but concrete pavers weren't on there

• elyash
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you very much. Two masons recommended Cambridge so I will see if I like the colors. I never know if that is because they can get a better price on the pavers or they really think they are better quality.

• marcinde
    10 years ago

" I never know if that is because they can get a better price on the pavers or they really think they are better quality."

There's only a couple bucks/sq ft difference between the good pavers (Techo-Bloc) and the garbage pavers (Belgard). Unless his cousin Vinny found some pallets that "fell off the back of a truck" there's no massive moneymaker in what someone recommends, it's just what that contractor has experience with, and confidence in.

I tend to spec Techo-Bloc because I like their product, I'm good friends with a couple of former Techo reps who continue to speak highly of it, and I think the QPR is good. I've looked at Cambridge. It looks fine, I just have no experience with it.

• amyhlr
    last year
    last modified: last year

I realize this is an old thread, but I am responding to add new information. When I renovated my patio 12 years ago (2010) my contractor used Capitol Pavers. The company had been around for 4 generations, ,so I had confidence that this was a good product. the result was a beautiful patio. Fast forward to 2016, we decided to remove the solid concrete around our pool and replace it with pavers. We used the same contractor, who told us that Capitol had gone out of business, so we would not be able to match the existing pavers on the patio. We chose a Cambridge product, completely different from the existing patio. Here we are now, 5 years later, and the original pavers from 2010, now 12 years old, are crumbling around the edges. The original warranty on these pavers was a lifetime warranty. I guess lifetime is more about the life of the manufacturer, not the lifetime of the paver. I have no recourse because the company is out of business and the pavers are no longer being made. I was told by an installer that Capitol had problems with several batches of their products which began to decompose over time, and that's why they went out of business. So my options are basically 1) Replace all of the existing patio pavers or 2) Sit around and watch the existing patio pavers decompose.