Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
audan2009

Raised Paver Patio between slab, fence and end

audan2009
10 years ago

Hello,

Working on extending our patio, we have an area between our patio and fence. The yard was already slopped a lot, so we need to bring it all up to be level with the patio (with drain grade).

My question is, how do I make this retaining wall to keep all the gravel in? I have more pictures of what I PLAN to do but I wanted to get some more opinions.

Also the end of the patio (where the dirt meets the rest of the yard) will also need to be raised a good amount.

Comments (9)

• audan2009
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a picture of the plan along the entire fence and the end.

I'm thinking of burying 1 layer of cinder block.

• audan2009
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is another view from the patio to the end. I haven't dug up the retaining wall.

ALSO we plan on running a drainage pipe under the patio.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    10 years ago

It is not exactly clear what you're asking. If it's "would the wall be built before the paver area?" the answer is, "Yes."

"...we need to bring it [the yard] all up to be level with the patio (with drain grade)." Not sure what you mean by "with drain grade", so please explain. As the patio extends out from the house, it would NOT be level, but pitched slightly (1/8" per foot is common) in order that rainwater drains from it, away from the house.

"Here is a picture of the plan along the entire fence and the end." Actually, you're not showing a plan (a bird's eye view,) but instead a cross-section detail, so we don't know how the retaining wall/patio relates to the fence. There should be some space between the wall and the fence. (And allowing some space for planting will help improve the overall space.)

• marcinde
    10 years ago

Your elevation shows a wall made with interlocking segmental retaining wall blocks. That will work. Trying to do the same thing with "cinderblocks" will not.

• robo (z6a)
    10 years ago

What is the height difference between where you start and end? I think you can slope a patio up to 5/8". Would you consider going the other way, removing some dirt from the area right around the porch and doing a step down from the porch to the patio?

• audan2009
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yardvaark, by drain grade, I meant what you are saying.

The retaining wall will be against the fence and the pavers will head toward the patio or house. There will also be a retaining wall where the patio meets the grass.

marcinde, can I use the Lowes retaining wall blocks with that have the edge lock? Can cinderblocks work with masonary glue?

robotropolis , no we do not want a drop.

• audan2009
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yardvaark, by drain grade, I meant what you are saying.

The retaining wall will be against the fence and the pavers will head toward the patio or house. There will also be a retaining wall where the patio meets the grass.

marcinde, can I use the Lowes retaining wall blocks with that have the edge lock? Can cinderblocks work with masonary glue?

robotropolis , no we do not want a drop.

• marcinde
    10 years ago

The Lowes garbage blocks are designed for people who think trees need to be blockaded in with little tree rings. They're not really designed for significant retention or structure. I wouldn't feel great about it. Do you have stone yards in the area that sell pavers and retaining wall block? I assume that's also where you'd be getting your pavers. There are some "economy" brands of interlocking wall block, and I'm seeing that the smarter yards are now selling wall block by the piece for smaller projects.

If you're using CMUs (technical term for cinderblocks), you need to dig a footer to frost depth, pour a 4-8" footer depending on specifics, and then build your wall with the CMUs, using mortar and rebar. If you attempt to just dry stack them on a gravel base, there's nothing holding them together. You'll create a failure point for your patio.

I spend my life in a lot of backyards, and where a patio rests on, or is supported by, a retaining wall - that's a common failure point. Overbuild it. Trust me.

• deviant-deziner
    10 years ago

Marcinde,
    Amen, hallelujah, ( hands waving + clapping in the the air) I want to testify in the stone temple of sound landscaping.
    Lordy Lordy.
    Thou shall not use garbage blocks to build thy patio.